My LCS has a rare 1921 Canadian five-cent coin for sale.

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

My LCS has a rare 1921 Canadian five-cent coin for sale.

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:16 pm

We got to hold it.

From -- http://www.2-clicks-coins.com/article/rare-canadian-coins.html
Apart from silver dollars, Canada also used to mint silver coins of five-cent denomination. They were sometimes called “fish scales” for their thinness. In 1921, the last silver five-cent coins were struck before they were replaced with nickel cents in 1922.

Most of the 1921 Canadian five-cent coins were melted down during the change in coinage and only about 400 specimens are left, to date, making the 1921 Canadian five-cent one of the rarest Canadian coins.

Here it is.
Last edited by henrysmedford on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: My LCS has a 1921 Canadian five-cent coin for sale.

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Cool! Thanks for posting.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby spacemanX » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:04 pm

+1
spacemanX
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:57 pm

This is not a common coin, especially in ''RAW'' form (ie uncertified). Thanks for posting.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: My LCS has a rare 1921 Canadian five-cent coin for sale.

Postby uthminsta » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:34 pm

Amazing. My car is worth less than that. Well, at least in one understanding of the meaning of "worth."
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby slickeast » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:19 am

PM Nickelmiester. He might be interested
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Nickelmeister » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:10 pm

slickeast wrote:PM Nickelmiester. He might be interested

Too busy playing Candy Crush!
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Numis Pam » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:17 am

Cool coin... sure would be sweet to find one of those in the wild!!!! :D
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby carssman » Fri May 09, 2014 10:55 am

Wow thats rare!

I wonder if I have one (kidding)
carssman

Postby cooyon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:47 pm

I found one of these today at my LCS, in a tube of about 50 coins. I was trying to fill some holes in my LOC album, had pulled out 8 others I needed then saw the 1921...it triggered something in my memory. My friend and fellow club-member works there, he was checking the price guide for each one I pulled out. He said the price guide for a VG is $2,700, this one is much lower grade, maybe a Good.
He will take it to the next Baltimore show to get it certified/graded if possible. Needless to say, I didn't get to buy it on the cheap like the other coins.

I never imagined I would ever see a 1921, let alone find one in a tube of common dates. Amazing! Goes to show that there are still some treasures out in the wild waiting to be stumbled upon.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Saabman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:25 pm

Very cool!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:26 pm

cooyon wrote:I found one of these today at my LCS, in a tube of about 50 coins. I was trying to fill some holes in my LOC album, had pulled out 8 others I needed then saw the 1921...it triggered something in my memory. My friend and fellow club-member works there, he was checking the price guide for each one I pulled out. He said the price guide for a VG is $2,700, this one is much lower grade, maybe a Good.
He will take it to the next Baltimore show to get it certified/graded if possible. Needless to say, I didn't get to buy it on the cheap like the other coins.

I never imagined I would ever see a 1921, let alone find one in a tube of common dates. Amazing! Goes to show that there are still some treasures out in the wild waiting to be stumbled upon.

So you puled a 5 cent silver coin out of a tube of 50 cent coins?
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cooyon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:34 pm

henrysmedford wrote:
cooyon wrote:I found one of these today at my LCS, in a tube of about 50 coins. I was trying to fill some holes in my LOC album, had pulled out 8 others I needed then saw the 1921...it triggered something in my memory. My friend and fellow club-member works there, he was checking the price guide for each one I pulled out. He said the price guide for a VG is $2,700, this one is much lower grade, maybe a Good.

So you puled a 5 cent silver coin out of a tube of 50 cent coins?

No, the LCS had a tube of about 50 silver half-dimes that I searched, (just a regular plastic dime tube).
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:51 pm

uthminsta wrote:Amazing. My car is worth less than that. Well, at least in one understanding of the meaning of "worth."

I'll buy your car for $10 over melt. You pay for shipping.

:D
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby wolvesdad » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:28 pm

Hopefully he paid you a 'finders' fee of $100 or more. He probably bought that tube of half times for less than $100.
If you hadn't been sorting those, who knows how long he would've sat on it, or ended up selling it in a bulk lot.
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:13 pm

wolvesdad wrote:

Hopefully he paid you a 'finders' fee of $100 or more. He probably bought that tube of half times for less than $100.
If you hadn't been sorting those, who knows how long he would've sat on it, or ended up selling it in a bulk lot.

Good point. He at least owes you a nice meal...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to Canada Numismatics