Tempting, but....

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Tempting, but....

Postby Morsecode » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:05 am

Isn't this coin in danger of being snatched at the border if discovered?

Then again, it already made the trip once when it was sent to PCGS. Which begs a 2nd question: is no-one at PCGS aware of this dime's legal status, or is it that they just don't care because it's foreign?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1057530348

There were supposedly 250 of these plated specimens made and distributed to select vending companies in Canada for testing purposes (sounds like asking for trouble to begin with). All were not returned, making the AWOL specimens a crime to own...having never been authorized for public release by the RCM; their status now considered counterfeit and subject to seizure.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Tempting, but....

Postby barrytrot » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:31 am

Are you certain this coin is illegal? PCGS is generally quite "up" on such matters.
barrytrot

Postby Morsecode » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:58 am

It should be. I mean, there's no gray area as far as strict definition...if a coin is not officially released (thereby monetized), it's supposed to be considered counterfeit. Like the US 1974 aluminum cent specimens; like the 1933 double eagle, etc.

I just wouldn't want to be the test case after my money was sent :D

If I have time later I'll see if I can find anything more conclusive on the RCM site.

If it is legal, the coin is undervalued at this price - assuming 80% were returned to the mint, a surviving population less than forty or fifty pieces
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby henrysmedford » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:15 am

It must be OK as that the seller is one of the largest coin shops in Canada. See--https://www.jandm.com/script/review.asp?cid=3&pid=92&ip=1
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:47 am

It appears as if (for now) the RCM is either unaware of these sales, which doesn't seem likely...or has simply chosen to ignore their own statute. I'd still be wary of buying one long distance.

"2000p: The 2000p Canada dime is scarce with fewer than 250 examples minted. The 2000p dime was lent to the vending industry by the Royal Canadian Mint
 to test the compatibility of the new plating process of circulation coins with existing vending machines and meters. Under contractual obligation, these coins were to be returned to the Mint once the compatibility tests were complete. Of the approximately 250 coins minted, many were not returned to the mint leading to significant debate surrounding the legality of owning these coins. High-grade examples of the 2000p 10 cent issue range from $1,500 to $3,000 CDN. Unlike the 5 cent 2000p issues, the 10 cent coin was not officially released by the Mint, and entered the numismatic market illegally and are still the property of the Royal Canadian Mint"
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Return to Canada Numismatics