$7 over face value, 3 hours left

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

$7 over face value, 3 hours left

Postby Morsecode » Thu May 02, 2013 6:36 am

What gives with this stuff? 14 common toonies for $29 + $6 shipping. I don't get it. Who wins here? The seller is lucky to net 90% of face after fees, so why bother with an auction? The buyer...well, I don't know what they're thinking.

This isn't a lone example...it seems as if common circ. Canada change trades between 105% to 115%...even before shipping costs sometimes. :?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1100821139
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: $7 over face value, 3 hours left

Postby ZenOps » Fri May 03, 2013 11:34 am

Sometimes you just like a coin.

The toonies are gaining in popularity around the world IMO. Chinese buyers love coins with bears on them, and there is a growing middle class that not only is buying silver, but slightly more frivolous things as well, like toonie bears.

Heck I just bought some 2013 $1 Unc Sacagaweas above face (5 cent melt value) just because they appeal to me. The ladies up here in Canada like the 1977 British crown (about 40 cents), and I hear in Japan they really like the 1970 Canadian dollar.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby Morsecode » Sat May 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Ok. I'll buy that. 8-)

Good point about the Chinese/bear connection.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Hawkeye » Mon May 20, 2013 12:40 pm

I'll admit, I've paid more than face for modern stuff just because I liked the way it looked. And I will also admit that the toonie is one of my favorite coins. Why people are selling them and ending up with less than face I don't know.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Canada Numismatics