Been having a blast sorting through my small cents!

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Been having a blast sorting through my small cents!

Postby merchoarder » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:40 am

I've had a raggedy old Whitman for years. I'd been meaning to upgrade it for a while. I'm fairly close to Canada so I get quite a few cents in rolls. Well, the news of Canada axing the cent kinda kicked me in the butt so I got a few new albums and decided to go through the stash. Up until that little bombshell, coppers went in a jar and zinc, steel went back to the wild :x (I want them back now!) I started out just playing bingo but the more I searched the more I got into it.
The preliminary search removed all 40's and 50's and pulled all the nice AU ones for the album. I ended up with about 3 rolls of 40's and 50's. After a little research, I noticed the major varieties for the 47 and the 53. I didn't find any 47 maple leaf blunt 7's but I did find a both the 53 without shoulder fold and with shoulder fold! I also looked for the '65 large beads and small beads. Found nice examples of both. Now onto the '85 blunt 5 vs. pointed 5. Blunt 5 was easy, pointed 5, not so much, I must have looked at 200 85's under the loupe. With about 15 left to check, I spotted it, woohooo!!! Finally, a pointed 5, may not be worth much, but it is a proud find for me!
I also found a really nice 1979 double 979 and a pretty sweet 1963 that the obverse has been struck through something? Anywho, for being in the States, I'm pretty damn proud of my Canadian "found wild" album!! My camera died or else I'd give you pics.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Been having a blast sorting through my small cents!

Postby uthminsta » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:57 am

Good golly, you must have had a lot to look through! Find any George V's (1920-36)?
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:33 am

merchoarder wrote: My camera died or else I'd give you pics.

Do you have a scanner that how we post the folder pics. Franklin has a Canadian set see http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1639&hilit=+hole if you can get the free Canadian off the coin counters you might start a 5,1,and 25 cent folder. If you need any hole fillers for your cent folder just PM us we have extras of most Canadians 1953-2011.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby merchoarder » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:54 pm

uthminsta wrote:Good golly, you must have had a lot to look through! Find any George V's (1920-36)?

I have yet to find any George V's in the wild. It's on my list of things to find in 2012!
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby sageshopper » Thu May 03, 2012 6:08 pm

Well, your post got me to pay more attention to my Canadian finds while sorting penny rolls, and today I got a 1945. A George V, I'm assuming, what else should I be looking for on this penny? Blunted what?
sageshopper

Postby henrysmedford » Thu May 03, 2012 6:40 pm

sageshopper wrote:Well, your post got me to pay more attention to my Canadian finds while sorting penny rolls, and today I got a 1945. A George V, I'm assuming, what else should I be looking for on this penny? Blunted what?

Not any thing on the 1945 that I know of but on the 1947--
The initial obverse had a legend containing the Latin abbreviation ET IND:IMP: meaning the king was also the Emperor of India. The independence of India caused a dilemma for the Mint which resulted in the delay of coinage tools. The mint had to satisfy for all denominations of coins and to differentiate this issue from the regular strikings or 1947, a maple leaf was placed after the date.
Last edited by henrysmedford on Thu May 03, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Thu May 03, 2012 6:40 pm

sageshopper wrote:Well, your post got me to pay more attention to my Canadian finds while sorting penny rolls, and today I got a 1945. A George V, I'm assuming, what else should I be looking for on this penny? Blunted what?

1965 and 1985 had blunt fives.
ImageImage
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby sageshopper » Thu May 03, 2012 7:58 pm

Great info, now I'm on the hunt!
sageshopper

Postby henrysmedford » Thu May 03, 2012 8:48 pm

sageshopper wrote:Great info, now I'm on the hunt!

Also
ImageImage
ImageImage
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby merchoarder » Fri May 04, 2012 2:08 pm

Hello Sageshopper! (aka Mom!) Good to see you're finally posting! I guess this means your going to start keeping your Canadians instead of giving them all to me :lol:
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby sageshopper » Fri May 04, 2012 4:22 pm

Hello merch! (AKA favorite son) I will keep the 1928 penny (a real George V) I got today!
sageshopper

Postby uthminsta » Fri May 04, 2012 7:02 pm

Well, if you all are looking, you might as well REALLY LOOK. Check out the "hanging" numbers prevalent in 1953 through 1964 cents. Stolen image from CoinsAndCanada.com:
Look at the list here:
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php
For the hanging numbers, just click on "1953 to 1964 - Elizabeth II" then choose a date. Most of them have pics.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Canada Numismatics