Canadian Error and Variety info

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Canadian Error and Variety info

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:50 pm

Checking out some of Aaron's posts I began to wonder......Is there a Cherrypickers guide book or website equivelent for Canadian coins?

Love to pick it up for the Rode-library if there is.

Thanks guys, Doc :)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: Canadian Error and Variety info

Postby Z00 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:40 am

“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:36 am

Canadian Coins, Vol One - Numismatic Issues 2012 http://www.charltonpress.com/NumismaticsBook.asp?v_ISBN=9780889683471#
From site
As in past editions some of the more interesting varieties of the previously featured denomination have been moved forward to the main section of the book. This year it is the Victoria large cent listings which have been expanded.

The 66th edition is a 360-page catalogue with sixty of those pages being devoted to circulating silver dollar varieties from 1935 to 1967.

I have a older copy I got from BMAN it is the book you want for a bookshelf. It is the Red book of the north! :mrgreen:
Joe
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:05 am

Just what I was after.....table referance and a quick web lookup site.......Thanks guys for the help.

Doc
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby uthminsta » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:10 pm

I use the "Coins & Canada" site mentioned above, as well as "J & M" which henrysmedford often mentions: https://www.jandm.com/script/getcatalog.asp They both have a LOT of images to help explain varieties, especially the Coins & Canada site. I have found several die clashes (also known as "hanging 2" or "hanging 3" or whatever the last digit of the date is) this week as a result of simply seeing what they were talking about and grabbing my magnifying glass. I think it's good to have more than one source, so you don't have to just go by what one guy thinks is worth mentioning. The Coins & Canada site is a little in depth. Lists every die crack and that's a little intense.

The aforementioned book is probably best, but Krause also issues an annual book called "North American Coins & Prices" which I like because I also collect Mexican coins, and of course need a quick reference for USA stuff. Here's the 2012, but I have the 2010.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby uthminsta » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:15 pm

uthminsta wrote:I think it's good to have more than one source, so you don't have to just go by what one guy thinks is worth mentioning.

Specific case:
C&C lists 1944 cents in fine condition at $1.40. J&M lists them at $0.20 and offers average circulated rolls of them for about $5.
I have at least two rolls of these. That makes a lot of difference!
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby daviscfad » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:58 pm

Doc over the last few years charlton has added in the special features of different varietys added to the book. Some of these books can get expensive but its a nice guide if your into canadian coins. for instance i have the 64th edition that covers small 5 cent victoria cents
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:12 pm

daviscfad wrote:Doc over the last few years charlton has added in the special features of different varietys added to the book. Some of these books can get expensive but its a nice guide if your into canadian coins. for instance i have the 64th edition that covers small 5 cent victoria cents

Cool Spence.....I find myself as time continues....being more interested in Canadian coinage. I am on a Dollar kick right now. In just like big coins......and CU abes of course :P
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby merchoarder » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:12 am

"A Guide Book of Canadian Coins and Tokens" by James A Haxby. I got this book as a Xmas present. It's a Whitman book. I'm fairly new to Canadian coins but in my opinion it's a really good guide. It's very thorough, well organized and full of good info and history. It's a new guide, 1st edition. Great desktop reference IMHO. Thought I'd share this here because this thread is where I first learned of the coinsandcanada website and I use that all the time :)
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Canada Numismatics