Weird QEII 1 cent coin found

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Weird QEII 1 cent coin found

Postby YuriyV » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:44 pm

I was MDing last weekend, here in Ottawa region, on one local beach. Found bunch of coins (mainly pennies). Coins are from KGVI era to modern times. Among others, I've spotted one weird corroded coin which attracted my attention by little bit smaller diameter (about 0.8mm less than normal) and distinctive outer rim. As well as under magnification noticed complete absence of the small dots (ruling?) on the perimeter under the rim. Other details of design differ as on me as well. I know almost nothing about Canadian coins, so it would be great to hear suggestion from fellow community members. Please see the pictures below. I placed couple pennies on the left and right for comparison (they were found in the same time on the beach).
YuriyV

Re: Weird QEII 1 cent coin found

Postby MikeyPooh » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:18 am

I'm far from an expert but that resembles pics I've seen online of coins that spent some time stuck in a washing machine or dryer. Enough time going round and round and the rim gets smushed like that.
MikeyPooh

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:14 am

I heard of people making rings out of coins and they tap the edges.. It looks like that after a few minutes of tapping.

Side note... where do you md in ottawa? Moonies bay?

Im right near another popular beach
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby YuriyV » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:25 pm

>Side note... where do you md in ottawa? Moonies bay?

I visited all public beach here in Ottawa. I'd say, Moonies bay is one of the heavily swiped one.

>Im right near another popular beach

Britannia?
YuriyV

Postby frugalcanuck » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:53 pm

yes im near Britannia

The thing that bugs me about moonies bay is you have to pay for parking on the weekend
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:36 pm

That would be a cent that belonged to someone with too much time on their hands. This has been tapped repeatedly with a spoon (prisoner) or machined in some way to reduce its diameter and thicken the rim. More of a curiosity than a coin to fund your retirement.

Fun find, though, regardless. We'll be interested to see what else you'll be able to discover. Good hunting.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:43 pm

henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Canada Numismatics