Rare find

This forum is for the discussion of Canadian coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Rare find

Postby didou » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:10 pm

1954 NSF graded EF-40 by C.C.C.S.

http://img607.imageshack.us/i/1954nsf.jpg/

I believe it's the only one ever found in circulation as it's not in the book i own in grade lower than PL-60, it's a variety that was found in proof-like set only.
I found it in a CWR a few month ago
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Re: Rare find

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:22 pm

So what is yours worth one from a proof set go for C$2000 see https://www.jandm.com/script/getitem.asp?CID=3&PID=81 Also here is what is a "no shoulder strap" AKA no shoulder fold is for most of us in the US are not up to speed on Canadian cents :D The initial obverse for the 1953 issue had a laureate portrait of Queen Elizabeth that had a high relief with the result that the two line representing a fold in the Queen's gown not being able to strike up well on the coin. This variety had been termed "no shoulder strap". Later in 1953, the relief of the model was lowered and the shoulder and hair design was strengthened. This variety is called the "shoulder strap".
I like the look of yours.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:33 pm

Also I found this--Click on photo for full size.
1954.jpg
1954.jpg (35.16 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby didou » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:57 am

As i said as far as i know it's the only one ever found in circulation, that coin isn't in population report nor in numismatic book in that grade. There is no price guide for it or history of coins like that ever been sold on ebay to compare too. It sure does has value, but no one i shared my discovery with seem to know how much it may be. Now that i have get it graded it will probably appear in price guide next year, but until that i have no clue. I've been suggested to ask for professional auctioneer house opinion about it's value, that's something i intend to do in the following week.

I was just excited to share my amazing hand sorting find now that it has been confirmed by a grading company :) I found it in Nov 2010
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby didou » Sun May 08, 2011 10:06 pm

Now i know what it's worth :
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MESOX:IT
Just sold it for CAD$700.00
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Sun May 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Very nice!

A fortune in pocket change! Congratulations.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby henrysmedford » Sun May 08, 2011 10:14 pm

Great job.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue May 10, 2011 1:47 pm

congrats
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Tue May 10, 2011 3:01 pm

Wow, nice. Great find.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat May 21, 2011 10:49 am

How rare are the "no shoulder fold"? I have a 1953 in circulated condition. Just wondering.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby henrysmedford » Sat May 21, 2011 6:04 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:How rare are the "no shoulder fold"? I have a 1953 in circulated condition. Just wondering.

Not a lot :|
The initial obverse for the 1953 issue had a laureate portrait of Queen Elizabeth that had a high relief with the result that the two line representing a fold in the Queen's gown not being able to strike up well on the coin. This variety had been termed "no shoulder strap". Later in 1953, the relief of the model was lowered and the shoulder and hair design was strengthened. This variety is called the "shoulder strap".
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Canada Numismatics