How long before coin books list valve for copper cents?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

How long before coin books list valve for copper cents?

Postby hobo finds » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:48 am

Copper 82's and prior should be listed for $.02 cents. Melt value has been $.02 for a long time. When do you think they may list them. Same for Jefferson Nicks.
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: How long before coin books list valve for copper cents?

Postby Silver4face » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:15 pm

The case for copper 82s and prior is much stronger than the case for Jefferson nicks. The above mentioned coppers are worth more than double face while the nickels are only a very small percentage above face. There have been times when the coppers have been worth TRIPLE face while the nickels have never reached double face.

If I were publishing a coin book, I would either list the coppers at .02 each OR I would simply put "bv" in that column. BV as in bullion value.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: How long before coin books list valve for copper cents?

Postby coindood » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:42 pm

Silver4face wrote:If Irs were publishing a coin book, I would either list the coppers at .02 each OR I would simply put "bv" in that column. BV as in bullion value.

I like that BV idea, and put a corresponding chart in the back showing bullion value at various copper prices. They do that already with gold and silver, so copper would be a helpful addition.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to USA Numismatics