Your 2024 Collecting Goals

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Your 2024 Collecting Goals

Postby coindood » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:12 pm

I honestly can't think of anything specific myself. Maybe something will spring to mind in the next week or so. Is it poor form to not have a choice regarding my own post? :lol:

But what are YOUR collecting goals for next year? Looking for responses beyond the usual "keep stacking", etc.

Finally acquiring that expensive key date? Venturing into a new realm of collectibles?

Let's hear it.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Your 2024 Collecting Goals

Postby Silver4face » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:18 pm

I don't have any specific goals because I am not really a true "collector". Instead, I am an accumulator. For example, I hoard pre 1940 American pennies. I also hoard pre 1946 American nickels. I keep (but sometimes sell) other stuff such as 1946-1959 nickels, 1941-1958 wheats etc etc. I "collect' or "accumulate" king George coinage. However, it is not really an actual goal to get more. I hope to find more good dates to add to my "accumulation".

Now that I think about it, I do have a specific goal::::: However, it is not a realistic goal, but rather a dream!!! My goal is to FIND a Shield nickel or flying eagle in a bankroll!!!!!
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thecrazyone » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:55 pm

1916-D dime
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby coindood » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:22 pm

thecrazyone wrote:1916-D dime

I know where you can get an unslabbed one for $850.00 :mrgreen:
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theshoenlebens » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:50 pm

coindood wrote:
thecrazyone wrote:1916-D dime

I know where you can get an unslabbed one for $850.00 :mrgreen:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:36 am

I’m gonna do something different and mention something that USED TO BE A GOAL, but isn’t realistic anymore.

Specifically, my goal used to be to find (not buy) some silver each month. I’m usually referring to half dollars, but I often go to 4-6 banks and get zero halves of any kind. The percentage of silver in 2023 was actually very good. It’s just hard to get any halves to look through.

Saabman is very fortunate because he’s in an area that seems to have lots of boxes of halves for him to go through. I just don’t have nearly that much supply anymore.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cwgii » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:45 am

No ,,goals,,for me.
. Other than finding enough coin to somewhat satisfy my OCD.slash insomnia, cramps, nightmare that occur every night.most nights I am up for 2..3 hours each night.

I rotate, read a little, do online a bit, sort, play cribbage.
cwgii

Postby galenrog » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:13 pm

Sort coin and currency for whatever is in demand by collectors.

Take up lapidary seriously again. There is quite a bit of interest locally for bolos again, along with other settings for well formed polished stones of all types.

Soak in as many hot springs that a week in Iceland will give me.

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby Silver4face » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:59 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:I’m gonna do something different and mention something that USED TO BE A GOAL, but isn’t realistic anymore.

Specifically, my goal used to be to find (not buy) some silver each month. I’m usually referring to half dollars, but I often go to 4-6 banks and get zero halves of any kind. The percentage of silver in 2023 was actually very good. It’s just hard to get any halves to look through.

Saabman is very fortunate because he’s in an area that seems to have lots of boxes of halves for him to go through. I just don’t have nearly that much supply anymore.

I beg to differ with your "ISN'T REALISTIC ANYMORE." In fact, I have a plan for you: Spend the first two weeks of the month searching halves. If you score, then that month is finished/accomplished etc. if you get skunked, then buy 2-3 boxes of nickels and pull a WAR or two. That way you find silver each month. It's a realistic plan/possibility.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:59 am

Silver4face wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:I’m gonna do something different and mention something that USED TO BE A GOAL, but isn’t realistic anymore.

I beg to differ with your "ISN'T REALISTIC ANYMORE." In fact, I have a plan for you: Spend the first two weeks of the month searching halves. If you score, then that month is finished/accomplished etc. if you get skunked, then buy 2-3 boxes of nickels and pull a WAR or two. That way you find silver each month. It's a realistic plan/possibility.

I don’t want to obsess and spend 10-20 hours of my precious time to be able to say I got a single silver coin. To me, time is precious. Coins are nice to have, but not nearly as precious as my time. Even compared to the stock market, there is no comparison. I can easily make $100-200/day in the market. Even compared to finding stuff via scrapping, there is no comparison.

Even if you could flat out guarantee me a silver coin for an hour of my time, it just wouldn’t be worth it. And, of course, it will likely be (on average) several to many hours before I typically find silver. I still do check Coinstar machines as that doesn’t take a lot of time.

So I’ve made up my mind!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Silver4face » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:47 pm

You do make a strong case, but you wouldn't spend one hour for a 90 % half?
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to USA Numismatics