What do you think of ultra-high grade Lincoln cents?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

What do you think of ultra-high grade Lincoln cents?

Postby coindood » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:04 am

I'm talking MS67 Red and above. Are they a good thing to buy and hang onto for a few years?

A little research into this shows that only 1 wheat cent has ever graded MS69 Red - a 1919, which PCGS values at $425,000! :shock:

That's an extreme example but MS67 Red and higher can be four or five figures for the earliest wheat years, and auctions can command these prices for people putting together Registry sets.

Even modern Zincolns can reach crazy prices.

Is there flip potential there?
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: What do you think of ultra-high grade Lincoln cents?

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:50 pm

coindood wrote:A little research into this shows that only 1 wheat cent has ever graded MS69 Red - a 1919, which PCGS values at $425,000! :shock:

I know what I would do with a time machine now. Go back to early 1900's and find as many uncirculated pennies and 90% silver as I could and bring them back to the present.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: What do you think of ultra-high grade Lincoln cents?

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:44 am

Anyone who thinks $400k+ is a lot of money should absolutely NOT buy this coin. Someone who is a billionaire with a huge ego can get away with it, but I’m quite certain even Warren Buffett, who could EASILY AFFORD the coin, wouldn’t be the slightest bit interested.

Just insurance alone on the coin could cost $40-80k PER YEAR.

There are lots of places in the U.S. where you could get a decent home in a pleasant suburb for about as much as this single 1919 cent.

Three more risks-
1) What if interest in the hobby declines to the point that PCGS goes out of business?
2) What if PCGS got another 2-3 of the same coin submitted in the same condition?
3) What happens when high quality counterfeits become even more prevalent?

Just because someone owns something which is perhaps unique, that doesn’t necessarily mean it is worth a lot.

All I can say is that I sure hope you aren’t enamored with Bitcoin. I am currently betting against crypto by shorting an overvalued but currently very hot stock. I’d love to have a way to bet against this Lincoln cent too!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to USA Numismatics