Coin Record Keeping

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Coin Record Keeping

Postby coindood » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:45 pm

In another thread - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43354 - fasteddy & TXSTARFIRE commented nicely on my coin record keeping. Figure I'd show some samples.

Image ImageImage
Began collecting in 1977 but the record keeping started with the Blackbook in 1980, which had a great section in the back to log purchases. The earliest actual date I recall acquiring a coin was my first 1980 penny on 1/20/80, but I didn't start recording till later that year.

As you can see from the entries, I was venturing into pre-1940 Lincoln cent territory back then, and in retrospect paying quite a bit for a 15-16 year old with a $2 weekly allowance. The 1933-D is the only remaining coin from these entries that's still in its original 2x2, some 38 years later. My source for these coins was the Woolco dept store at the mall where my Mom worked. I was mesmerized by the display case with revolving trays of coins and I hadn't yet attended my first coin show.

Image Image
So I started keeping track utilizing small spiral booklets. Here's Vol 2 of my daily acquisition books, showing a key find from Feb 1985.

As my collecting tastes got more varied I began more specific lists. Here's the running entries in my wartime silver log book from 2001-2002. I'm still updating these with the newest find, but they've been quite sparse over recent years. I have a similar one for buffalos that hasn't had a new entry since 2014.

Dating my 2x2's was of course a crucial part. Early on I had a special stamp but I eventually simply wrote the date in by hand. The Japanese yen is my most recent find.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Coin Record Keeping

Postby aloneibreak » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:58 pm

i have started to keep track of the year i purchased on the 2x2

always had good intentions of filling out a notebook like you do , but never came through with it

thanks for sharing

:thumbup:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:39 am

WOW!!! Awesome job!!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:00 am

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to USA Numismatics