Rarest Coin/Currency You Know is "Hiding" ?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Rarest Coin/Currency You Know is "Hiding" ?

Postby planman2014 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:38 am

It could be "hiding" in your (or somebody else's) safety deposit box, gun safe, backyard, or maybe just casually left on a nigh stand.
planman2014

Re: Rarest Coin/Currency You Know is "Hiding" ?

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:36 am

Is this an indirect way of asking what are the rarest coins we have? If so, for privacy reasons I am not comfortable posting something like that online (even on this site).
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby scyther » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:45 pm

I don't necessarily see it as a problem to ask what people's rarest coins are; they can answer or not as they see fit. But the way he said it and the fact that it was his first post made it very creepy...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby wolvesdad » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:33 pm

Plan Man,
If you're asking, what's the best **cherry picker** coin you should go out after, it's not that simple of a question.

If you've got a lot of free time, or don't mind wasting your time, you could search pennies for wide AM or narrow AM varieties.

(Sorry, I had all caps on, and I'm not going to retype this.)ANYTIME YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO PICK UP A COLLECTION OF COINS THAT WAS PUT TOGETHER 30 OR 40 YEARS AGO OR MORE, AND IT IS GROUPED TOGETHER AS COMMONS, THERE IS A CHANCE TO FIND SEMI RARE COINS THAT DIDN'T HAVE MUCH PREMIUM AT THAT TIME, BUT HAVE APPRECIATED MORE SINCE THEN AND ARE WORTH SEPARATING OUT AND SELLING AT A PREMIUM.

I bought a group of barber dimes off of eBay years ago that was from the widows deceased husband, and I pulled out 5 to 10 date-mintmark combinations that were worth between $5 and $15 per coin over spot. She did have listed, actual rare Barber dimes at a high premium on her account as well. Which led me to assume that these had been separated many years ago, were fairly common at the time, but the premium is worth separating them out nowadays.

But if you have an eBay listing telling you that it is full of semi rare coins or something, it's probably some form of a scam or miss leading selling scheme. Buyer beware!!
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:13 pm

My Grandpa, who died a few months back, always talked about his rare half dime. We've been going through the house cleaning it out and no one has found it yet.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby wolvesdad » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:04 pm

coppernickel wrote:My Grandpa, who died a few months back, always talked about his rare half dime. We've been going through the house cleaning it out and no one has found it yet.

Awwww!
I hope it is found!!!

That thing is tiny. Hope he never used it for a book mark or you might never find it.
Check cracks or spaces in 'chest-of-drawers' and the like!

Hope you find it and many other treasures!
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics