Coin Show Announcements

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Coin Show Announcements

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:41 pm

This thread is all about coin shows

These are great events to buy, sell, and trade coins with dealers, network with like-minded people, get great deals on dealer inventory, see valuable rare coins up close and personal, learn about the history of coins, and see other collectible things. The art of the deal is at hand and these mini markets are vibrant with activity! If you haven't been to one, then look around to find the next show near you. If you like this forum, you will surely like a coin show. Get out there and go to one. You never know what might come home with you.

- Feel free to post about upcoming coin shows in your local area.

- Feel free to discuss tips and protocol

- Feel free to display pictures or tell us stories about your experiences at a show

- Feel free to announce your presence as a dealer at any show, or to market a club show.

- Feel free to post about resources where others can find shows near them.

- Feel free to tell us about a great deal or even a disappointing purchase.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Re: Coin Show Announcements

Postby PennyPauper » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:44 pm

If you want to know if there is a show near you this numismaster link is good http://www.numismaster.com/ta/inside_nu ... wsCalendar
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyPauper » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:03 pm

Anyone planning to go to the Whitman,Philadelphia Expo show Sept 30-Oct 02 show? I'm thinking of going so if anyone else is let me know.I've been to the city many times not as bad as you hear.The Mint is only 7 blocks away too! Self guided tour is free.Was there last summer,but they were not making any coins at the time :(

http://www.whitmanexpo.com/contentPages ... a.aspx?x=3
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby just carl » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:32 pm

When looking for coin shows there are many places that list them. For one you could just go to Google and type in coin shows and your state. And remember that if you live near two or more different states, type in all of them. Also note that not all shows are listed in the same places. Unless someone notifies the people that do the listings, some shows do not appear. In some areas coin shows are put on by local coin clubs too. Due to such inconsistancies, the best way to search for all possible coin shows is to search numerous sources for all coin shows and once you find them all, make sure you copy enough information in order to contact them for show times and dates. For example if you live in Illinois and type in coin shows in many listings, the Countryside, Illinois show seldom appears and is actually one of the bigger ones in that state. And remember to contact local coin clubs to see if they have any coin shows.
Another sort of off beat type of place for coin shows is flea markets. Some have numerous coin dealers. Some have none. Pays to visit one to see what is there.
just carl
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby agmoose » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:46 am

Collectorama in Lakeland, FL is next weekend - 8,9 Oct.

Twice a year show, usually pretty good, and with silver and gold doing what they are right now, I'd expect a pretty solid show this time too. With all of the focus on "junk" it may be a good time to pick up some key pieces for collections.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:40 am

Here is a link to a coin show in PA just outside of Pitt. Oct 22-24

Market Harmony is sure to be there......Heck he is the one who showed me the link!

http://www.pancoins.org/
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:39 am

Rodebaugh wrote:Here is a link to a coin show in PA just outside of Pitt. Oct 22-24

Market Harmony is sure to be there......Heck he is the one who showed me the link!

http://www.pancoins.org/

JUST ONE WEEK AWAY!!!!

Monroeville, PA (just off the PA turnpike) and within 15 minutes of Pittsburgh

3 days long Friday, Saturday, and Sunday Oct 22-24 (be there early and often)

* over 130 quality dealers (including me :D )
* 3000+ attendees expected
* lots of fun, learning, & profiteering
* within a few hours drive of NY, WV, OH, MD, and VA
* NO SALES TAX ON COINS AND BULLION IN PENNSYLVANIA!!!
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Beau » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:08 pm

coin show Belair Tx. the 23rd of october [SOUTH HOUSTON].

Dealer Tables all sold out.

NO SALES TAX ON ANYTHING.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Slaphot » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:42 am

I'll be at the Monroeville show. See you there!
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RickS » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Planning on attending the Monroeville show as well. Not sure if I can squeeze it on Friday, otherwise I'll be there for 10 on Saturday.

Hopefully a good learning experience, also hoping to find a local, decent dealer. (In addition to Market Harmony, of course! :) )
RickS
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:28 am

Market Harmony wrote:JUST ONE WEEK AWAY!!!!

ONLY TWO DAYS AWAY!!!

Grab the wife and kids... if they don't like coins, then there is a huge mall within a few minutes walking distance. Lots of restaurants and banks, too!

Here's the address for the GPS users: 209 MALL BOULEVARD, MONROEVILLE, PA 15146

And here's a map:

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:00 am

Market Harmony wrote:
Market Harmony wrote:JUST ONE WEEK AWAY!!!!

ONLY TWO DAYS AWAY!!!

Grab the wife and kids... if they don't like coins, then there is a huge mall within a few minutes walking distance. Lots of restaurants and banks, too!

Here's the address for the GPS users: 209 MALL BOULEVARD, MONROEVILLE, PA 15146

And here's a map:

STARTS TOMORROW!!!!!

Friday 10-6
Saturday 10-6
Sunday 10-3

The best coins are typically gone by Friday afternoon. Many dealers will close up on Saturday evening, so Sunday is usually a slow day, but dealers might be more open to lower offers to move the stuff that hasn't sold.

You won't miss me if you go. I'll be there all 3 days. I have a large black table covering that drapes over the front and has Market Harmony in gold letters.

See you there!

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RickS » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:29 pm

Unfortunately, I had to skip this one. Worked a really long day Friday, then sold a car today. Good news that in about a week, I'll no longer have a vehicle payment. :D

MarketH - hope you did well.
RickS
Penny Sorter Member

Postby rainsonme » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:12 am

There is a coin show in Portland Or, near the Lloyd Center. I intend to go on Sunday.

OCTOBER 23-24, 2010
WILLAMETTE COIN CLUB/

PACIFIC NORTHWEST
NUMISMATIC ASSOCIATION
6TH ANNUAL FALL CONVENTION
DoubleTree Lloyd Center Hotel

1000 NE Multnomah Street
Portland, OR 97232
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

so, I went to the Portland Coin show ----

Postby rainsonme » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:17 pm

I went to the Portland coin show. I learned many things.
Franklin "bugs bunny ears" look like dracula fangs on the upper lip; no wonder I never saw any differences on the ears
I saw actaul added corn-leaf quarters.
I saw that AU condition of recent silver coins ('62, 63, 64) adds no value; they are just melt value junk. So I can quit separating the occational "perfect" half or dime I find from those recent years.
I learned that I really should not go to coin shows, and if I do, I should empty my pockets BEFORE I go, not while I'm there.

I bought a whole bunch of BU franklins halfs for $8 @. I bought too many, and had to leave before I bought even more. 1960, 61, 63's.
2 very nice silver dollars, 1921 and 1923 for $20 @. Picked out of a couple hundered, to find the best.
7 standing liberty quarters and 1 barber quarter, all with clear dates, for 16.8x face value.
A roll of 1949-S Franklin halfs, marked as VF, for 17x face.
A few indian pennies picked from several hundred, for $0.90@.
I probably could have bought some war nickles for $0.80 @ (he asked $1, but seemed flexible), but I had to leave before I went back to the BU franklin halfs for a 3rd time.

Very nice show. There were quite a few stands with ancient coins, some of the roman coins very reasonable; a couple bucks for coins still showing the emporer. And some greek and other coins from BC. I was just looking for cheap silver, so I didn't do the show much service. I sure spent more than I intended ----
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:07 pm

It sounds like you enjoyed yourself at the Portland Show, Abe. When is the next show?

I had a pretty good show. I got to meet lots of people and spread the word a good bit. Making new contacts and seeing some forum members like Chris and Nick was especially nice. Activity was brisk on Friday and Saturday, but tempered on Sunday. I had a few customers give me their wish lists for me to fill, and a few more than said they will be in contact with me once they gather up the scrap gold and silver they have around the house. All in all, it was a good show. I didn't get the best spot, but it still worked out. The people surrounding me are all great people.

Some highlights:
- commissioned to send a few really nice coins to PCGS. One has the potential to be a $10K+ coin
- bought some really nice coins
- learned of a new invention in development that will be used by all the bullion depositories to test anything from small 1 oz coins to the big 22 pound bars of gold for tungsten.

I also just read this article in Numismaster regarding attending a coin show. There is some great advice here:
http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Art ... leId=14979

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rakattack » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:39 pm

Santa Clara Coin Convention

Santa Clara, CA

Nov 19-21

http://www.santaclaraexpo.com/

Check that site for a free coupon!
rakattack
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rainsonme » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:33 pm

One more epilog to the Portland Or coin show I attended.

I got in the mail on Saturday a silver round, 1 ounce .999 pure, that I won as part of the hourly drawings at the Portland coin show; you did not have to be present to win. They mailed it to me.

Then when I picked up a box of half dollars at a BoA earlier in the week, the teller mentioned he had a 2nd box. I asked for it, of course, but he said he was holding it for another customer. I gave the teller my name and phone number to pass to the other customer. About an hour later I got a phone call from a fellow who p;icked up the 2nd box. In the course of comparing notes, turned out he had sold me a roll of '49-S halfs at the Portland show from the vendor booth he ran.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Pittsburgh, PA area

This Sunday, November 14, 9:00 to 3:00 (though most close up around 1:30-2:00)

Castle Shannon Firehall. Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rl ... CCEQnwIwAQ

This will be a combined Coin and Antique show. You can expect about 25 coin dealers to be there, including myself.

See you there!

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:15 am

Market Harmony wrote:Pittsburgh, PA area

This Sunday, November 14, 9:00 to 3:00 (though most close up around 1:30-2:00)

Castle Shannon Firehall. Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rl ... CCEQnwIwAQ

This will be a combined Coin and Antique show. You can expect about 25 coin dealers to be there, including myself.

See you there!

Don't forget, it's TODAY!!! See you there

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:19 pm

any of you TEXAS Boys planning on hitting the "The Money Show" at the GRB first weekend in December...thursday, Friday and Saturday????
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:58 am

rakattack wrote:Santa Clara Coin Convention

Santa Clara, CA

Nov 19-21

http://www.santaclaraexpo.com/

Check that site for a free coupon!

Going to this one on Saturday. Always a great show! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby rainsonme » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:35 pm

Looking forward to the coin show in Salem Oregon Sat and Sunday. I had hoped that prices would collapse just befoer this event ---- still, if I can find some of the bargains I found at the Portland coin show a month ago, I will be very happy.

Nov. 27-28, Salem Coin & Stamp Show 2010
Oregon State Fair & Expo Center, Columbia Hall, 2330 17th St. NE, Salem, OR
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:20 pm

TOMORROW!!!!

Pittsburgh, PA area

This coin show happens about every 5 weeks. This month's show is Sunday, December 12, 9:00 to 3:00 (though most close up around 1:30-2:00)

I hope to see you there!

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rainsonme » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:44 pm

In regards to the Pittsburg PA show tommorrow, and all other shows, I would say that the best deals by far that I have found have been at the 2 coin shows I have attended this year. At the Portland show, I bought a bunch of uncirculated franklin hlafs for $8 @, plus some more junk under melt. Rosco got me to attend the coin show in Salem Or a couple weeks ago, where I picked thru many silver dollars for $20@, and found other junk coins under melt. If you are looking for good deals, I would urge you to go to these coins shows.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to USA Numismatics