Mutilated coin program to end

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Mutilated coin program to end

Postby hobo finds » Sun May 12, 2024 11:50 am

hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Mutilated coin program to end

Postby hobo finds » Sun May 12, 2024 12:08 pm

I believe this will open the door for melting cents and Nickels. The recyclers processors will need a way to get rid of them...

http://www.globalmetalsandcoinrecovery. ... coins.html
hobo finds

Postby Corsair » Sun May 12, 2024 2:44 pm

hobo finds wrote:I believe this will open the door for melting cents and Nickels. The recyclers processors will need a way to get rid of them...

http://www.globalmetalsandcoinrecovery. ... coins.html

Interesting take. This is logical and makes sense, therefore it is unlikely the government will do it.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue May 14, 2024 7:14 pm

So, in a nutshell, if there is no mutilated coin recovery program, any mutilated coins will be nullified and probably not accepted by banks, etc. for exchange? How does this pave the way for the cessation of cent ( and maybe nickel) production? Is it just the timing of this that makes it suspect the fed wants to clean house of overhead costs as far as coin seigniorage goes?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Tue May 14, 2024 7:30 pm

If you have damaged dimes, quarters, half dollars and sba dollars if you can't turn those denomation coins you could melt them. But the cent and Nickel you can't melt. So no way for you to get rid of them for face or metal value
hobo finds

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed May 15, 2024 1:39 pm

hobo finds wrote:If you have damaged dimes, quarters, half dollars and sba dollars if you can't turn those denomation coins you could melt them. But the cent and Nickel you can't melt. So no way for you to get rid of them for face or metal value

I am really slow this week. I still don't see what the gap that happens will result in a melt ban being lifted. Not trying to be snarky or anything, I just don't understand whether the government is telling us one thing is a priority -ie- saving money on mutilated coin recovery and then letting the higher production cost coins like cents and nickels to keep being produced at a loss?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed May 15, 2024 6:54 pm

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... cent-coins

As you know in the United States we can't import or melt cents and Nickels. And yes if the damaged coin program is gone companies in other countries can't take advantage of it. Which I believe they did. But what about salvage places here in the USA ? They can't get rid of them? Just thinking it would make sense to lift the ban on all coins. And it could lead to the cent and nic being replaced, as you stated they cost more than face to make. Zincs were above cost for awhile as you know.
hobo finds

Postby hobo finds » Wed May 15, 2024 7:04 pm

And if the melt ban was lifted would you sell for metal value or hold on longer for numismatic value?
hobo finds

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu May 16, 2024 1:27 pm

hobo finds wrote:And if the melt ban was lifted would you sell for metal value or hold on longer for numismatic value?

I'd hold on and treat the copper as a savings account that should hedge inflation. I don't know how much copper is still circulating in cents in the USA but it is probably less than a day's worth of copper ( ?) industrial use wise. A lifted ban would allow more trading of the copper cents and possible
barter equivalent if knowing that a copper cent could get 70% ( an example) of melt value any given day anywhere. I'd be happy to see a 1 cent Lincoln with 3 cents worth of copper get me $0.021 per a coin. That would make stashing away the cents for a 10 year period worth it ( and maybe more ROI if we are talking 10 years from now out and possibly copper going over $6/lb ).
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu May 16, 2024 7:00 pm

Is the following scenario possible under any set of conditions?

The US government finally admits that the Federal Reserve notes are essentially worthless after years of debasement through inflation. The paper is replaced by a CBDC and we turn our paper dollars in at a rate of, say, $100 notes for a new $1 of CBDC...so prices get back to normal after a long period of double-digit inflation. The metallic coins though are allowed to stay in the system, for a while, who knows how long, and ... AND ... they keep their value in the new system. That is, they are not reduced to 1/100th of a penny, nickel, dime and so on. A penny hoarder's dream, I know. But it would keep the Fed from having to deal with gajillions of tons of coins that would be returned if the exception were not granted.

Oh, and by the way, never give the authority to decide what is money to a bunch of central bankers. It always ends in failure.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics