Ethical Coinstar strategy?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Ethical Coinstar strategy?

Postby coindood » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:24 pm

Here's what I did today.

The CS machine is in the vestibule of an Albertson's, you know the type, with magazine racks for free local newspapers, apartment guides, a bulletin board...and a small trash can. Knowing that CS rejects often end up in the garbage, I simply took the accumulated trash and replaced the bag with an empty. Ended up not finding anything but I know the possibilities are there. Found a 1929 Merc that way once.

Did I do anything unethical from the store's perspective?
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Ethical Coinstar strategy?

Postby MatthewsTech » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:59 pm

I'm sure the guy who's job it is to empty the garbage loves you. I think your fine :-)

I often take coke caps/flaps out of garbage near the bottle returns to get free coke points.

Stores pay by the pound to throw stuff out so i dont see why they would mind as long as your not making a mess.
1% Cash Back on Bullion from Ebay @ ebates: http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=EmU8DkL62%2BPQi2w8e28nMQ%3D%3D&eeid=26471 (referral link)

Plus earn even more at most online retailers.
MatthewsTech
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:33 pm

Awesome strategy. When first starting out a few years ago I tried something similar at the bank. They busted me right away on it, and I deserved the 'talking to'...looked a lot like fishing for customer account numbers. So that was one time they were right and I was wrong.

Speaking of ethical things, try this on -

A lady is funneling her change into the machine with one hand, while balancing her 1 year-old daughter on the countertop with the other. It was slooow going. Major delay in morsecode's Saturday run, ok?

My finely tuned ears hear a silver coin plink into the reject bin down below as the lady is wrapping it up. All is quiet as she presses the 'End' button (here comes the probably-questionable-but-I-sleep-just-fine part)...Timed perfectly to drown out Penny saying "Be sure to check the reject box for valuables blah, blah, blah...", I gush - "Such a cute baby! Look at those dimples! How old is she?"

It works as planned. The lady thanks me for the compliment, slings the brat onto her hip and marches off to the teller line. Cha-ching...one more Mercury goes into the stash.

:P
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby coindood » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:54 pm

You're a monster Morsecode. :lol:
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby DaMangRon » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:11 pm

That story actually made me laugh Morsecode! But I must admit when I spot a reject bin full of goodies as the person in front of me is finishing up I will shake my coins a bit, perhaps switch which hand is holding the bag. I make just enough noise to distract the person right when Penny is telling him to check for rejects.
DaMangRon
Penny Pincher Member

Postby brian0918 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:20 pm

Morsecode wrote: I gush - "Such a cute baby! Look at those dimples! How old is she?"

What the mom doesn't know is you were talking about the Merc, admiring its reeded edge, and wondering what year it was. The only "reject" in your mind was the baby. :twisted:
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:40 pm

brian0918 wrote:
Morsecode wrote: I gush - "Such a cute baby! Look at those dimples! How old is she?"

What the mom doesn't know is you were talking about the Merc, admiring its reeded edge, and wondering what year it was. The only "reject" in your mind was the baby. :twisted:

What if you slipped and said "such a cute girl. Are those fully split bands? Is she certified?" And then a security guard approaches to haul you away and you say "No, that's not what I meant."

And soon you are incarcerated because of a Mercury dime... :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:15 am

coindood wrote:You're a monster Morsecode. :lol:

Monster? No. Opportunistic? All the way. I find my self inspired. :lol:
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics