New JFK Half Dollar Coin

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

New JFK Half Dollar Coin

Postby hobo finds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:32 am

http://news.msn.com/us/jfk-returns-to-o ... tors-coins

The gold proof coins being made at West Point with three-quarter ounces of 24-karat gold will begin going on sale Aug. 5 at the World's Fair of Money in Rosemont, Illinois. That coin will be dated 1964-2014 and its price will be around $1,300, depending on the market price of gold.

For those with fewer spare dollars to buy coins, the mint on Thursday will begin offering for $9.95 a set of two uncirculated quality coins from its facilities in Philadelphia and Denver.

A 50th Anniversary Kennedy half dollar silver-coin collection with coins with different finishes from each of the mint's production facilities will go on sale in the fall.
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: New JFK Half Dollar Coin

Postby Morsecode » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:49 pm

The uncircs and fancy silver finishes will probably be a good buy if for no other reason than the 50 year thing. Not sure about the gold set. Depends how the sales go.

Y'know, this just might be the last hurrah for the JFK half. Then again, I said that about the 2009 Lincoln cent :roll:

Seriously, it's long past time for Treasury/Congress to dump the Kennedy. About 40 years past. Not the coin; just the likeness. We need to make room for someone more deserving. Let's face it...Kennedy's claim to fame was his untimely death. I believe it took only seven weeks from Dallas to the presses churning out coins.

And it got me thinking...which coins are LEAST likely to ever change at this point. The Abe cent is probably safest. Jefferson's lock on the nickel is pretty strong, although I think he should be upgraded to the dollar bill. Washington is Washington - no one in a gov't job will stand to deny the Father of our Country. FDR could go. Put Ike on the dime.

...anyway...just rambling
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to USA Numismatics