Series 2017 FRNs

Discussion about the collecting, buying/selling, exchanging, design, and printing of notes and paper money from around the world, as well as the currency markets generally. Also, the discussion of items related to world currency like exonumia and scripophily.

Series 2017 FRNs

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:36 pm

Seems like there's a shortage of series 2017 FRNs in circulation these days. The pop reports for the high-volume districts (B, F, G, K and L) already report that several hundred million notes (or more) have already been printed and released into circulation.

Something's up, but I don't know what it might be. There have been rumors that Steve Mnuchin's days as Sec'y of the Treasury are numbered and the notes, once found are being hoarded). Who knows, but the absence of these notes in circulation may be an indication of something yet to be defined.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Series 2017 FRNs

Postby aloneibreak » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:12 pm

i know i havent seen one
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:23 pm

I have been looking and have not seen one. Does anyone know why they have been printing series 2013 and series 2017 notes at the same time, with some being the same denomination?

tt
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:46 pm

They started printing ones in Nov of 2017, 20s in Jan of 2018 and 10s in June of 2018 so you would think that someone would have seen one by now. They are still (as of Oct 2018) printing series 2013 5s, 50s, and 100s.

tt
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:55 am

I saw a $1 Steven Mnuchin note and showed it to my wife, but I didn’t even think to save it because I didn’t think of it as ever being valuable. After all these years, how much can you really get for a Barr note and how many people collect them?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:44 pm

Here we are several months after my original posting about the lack of circulating series 2017 notes. Supposedly millions have been printed (with several districts at or near the E suffix due to so many runs). I've doubled my accumulation and now have a total of 2 Mnuchin bucks.

This just doesn't make sense.

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:43 pm

I've finally begun to see more 2017 FRNs in circulation during the past 6 weeks. Mostly one dollar notes, but a few 20s and a couple of 10s. Not like I live in a small nook or cranny of the US, but at least these are making an occasional appearance.

These have taken a long time to reach the average Joe or Josephine in my area of the Midwest. Oh well. They don't notice the new signatures anyway.

Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Banknotes, Exonumia, Philatelics, etc