Star Note Help

Discussion about the collecting, buying/selling, exchanging, design, and printing of notes and paper money from around the world, as well as the currency markets generally. Also, the discussion of items related to world currency like exonumia and scripophily.

Star Note Help

Postby silverflake » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:42 am

Howdy folks. So I received a group of 4 consecutive, uncirculated $1 federal reserve star notes in change a couple weeks back. I held on to them but wanted to check the "rarity" of them as star note runs can number into the millions or be quite low. The lower population ones sell for nice premiums o ebay and even the higher print runs can sell at a premium. So here's my dilemma:

To find print run numbers, I found this site http://www.mycurrencycollection.com/ref ... tes/lookup but when I put the series and serial number in I get nothing. I even found a printed list of every print run of federal reserve notes here http://www.uspapermoney.info/serials.pdf and according to this list, my serial number doesn't exist.

Any help on print run numbers would be great. The notes are $1 series 2003 and the serial numbers are B04670954* thru B04670957*

Thanks in advance
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Star Note Help

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:39 pm

Just an FYI- if they have any kind of crease at all they are not Crisp Uncirculated. That second link you posted with all the serial numbers is quite interesting- I was surprised at how many pages there are.
Last edited by Recyclersteve on Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silverflake » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:47 pm

Never mind. My 49 year old eyes read the date wrong. It's series 2013 not 2003. It is not rare at all. And yes, Recyclersteve you are right about even the finest crease making them not UNC. But these bad boys are brand spanking new. Just not worth a whole lot.

Thanks to anyone who looked. But, all is figured out. No mystery.

Stack!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:21 am

A quote from the uspapermoney.info site:

In early 2015, runs #1, #2, and #3 of the New York star notes began to appear in circulation, even though they had not been reported by the BEP. A FOIA request brought confirmation of the run lengths of the Washington printings shown in the table above. The June and July 2016 production reports then listed those three runs again, this time as Fort Worth products. Notes from all three Fort Worth runs have been seen in circulation, so the duplicate printings did in fact occur, and it appears that duplicate serials were in fact issued.

These are part of an uncommon error. If you could find the same serials from either the Washington or the Fort Worth printing you would have something that might be pretty valuable.

tt
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Banknotes, Exonumia, Philatelics, etc