Is there a market on here for banknotes?

Discussion about the collecting, buying/selling, exchanging, design, and printing of notes and paper money from around the world, as well as the currency markets generally. Also, the discussion of items related to world currency like exonumia and scripophily.

Is there a market on here for banknotes?

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:28 pm

Im just curious to see if there is a market on here for old banknotes. I have some 1954 Canadian and Im looking to sell. I also have access to more but I feel I will be taking too much away from my sorting money as I would rather be collecting .999 Ni than paper money. I just thought I would pick them up before the Bank of Canada shreds them.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Is there a market on here for banknotes?

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:38 pm

I don't think there are many banknote collectors on RC other than myself and a couple others, and I don't really do Canadian stuff. Ebay is a good place for Canadian notes, however. Series of '54 isn't especially rare, but look around Ebay and see what they are bringing it might be worth your time.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Re: Is there a market on here for banknotes?

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:31 pm

The replacement notes (the CDN equivalent of star notes) are highly collectable. You can usually find examples of those for sale on eBay. I've made trips to Canada where I've had some 1954 one and two dollar notes. Many younger people have never even seen those and they attract a lot of attention when spent.

When the US buck was still king, I was buying those notes at $0.65 US per dollar face. Had the occasional five, ten and twenty, but usually turned those in at the bank when cashing in hundreds of dollars in circulated dimes and quarters (purchased at $0.63 US per dollar face). The spread made the trips very profitable.

I kept all the .999 Ni and CDN coppers for myself. Don't think we'll be going back to those days anytime soon. The US buck is now in quicksand and slowly slipping into oblivion.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Banknotes, Exonumia, Philatelics, etc