Does Anyone Else Have This Problem?

Discussion about the collecting, buying/selling, exchanging, design, and printing of notes and paper money from around the world, as well as the currency markets generally. Also, the discussion of items related to world currency like exonumia and scripophily.

Does Anyone Else Have This Problem?

Postby silverflake » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:35 am

I am a huge silver and gold fan. I am also well aware of the constantly deteriorating value of the U.S. dollar. I am finally aware of the fact that paper money is (when you pull the blinders off) just that - a piece of paper I.O.U.

OK, then why do I have this compulsion to pull the old style bills from circulation when I find them? Anyone else do this? I now have a stash of some old style bills - all circulated, no star notes, ranging in series dates from 1969 -1991. Mostly 10's occasional 20 and 5's. ebay shows they are not worth a premium (and yes I have checked all the series and signatures - nothing of note.)

It seems I am wasting my time because as money, they are losing value due to inflation. As collectibles - well they just aren't collectible. And yet they are different. I should just use them to buy silver.

Shouldn't I?
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Does Anyone Else Have This Problem?

Postby Kurr » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:51 am

Do they bring you personel pleasure? Do they inspire you to further or deeper thought? Can you use them to educate?

At one time, all the paper currency that currently has a high collector value was just a common note. Some one saved them and for one reason or another, they "aquired" collector status and the extra value attached to that status.

My personal .02 is this: If it makes YOU happy...
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby aloneibreak » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:44 pm

i spent most of my stack of small head notes

i saved one each of the 20, 10 and 5 for my collection

i still save every $1 star i come across - cant seem to stop setting them back :)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:36 pm

Kurr wrote:My personal .02 is this: If it makes YOU happy...

Ditto :thumbup:
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Return to Banknotes, Exonumia, Philatelics, etc