Star notes

Discussion about the collecting, buying/selling, exchanging, design, and printing of notes and paper money from around the world, as well as the currency markets generally. Also, the discussion of items related to world currency like exonumia and scripophily.

Star notes

Postby appjoe » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Can anyone tell me anything about star notes? This week I got in change a $10.00 and a $20.00 star note. Is there any value in them?
Thanks Joe
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Star notes

Postby Copper Catcher » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:23 pm

Star notes are replacement notes i.e. when a sheet of bills become messed up they put a sheet of star notes as a replacement.

Some star notes are rare and some are not. Basically the value is determined by the number of actual notes produced and the condition of the note.

These sites might be helpful:

http://www.mycurrencycollection.com/reference/stars/

http://currency.ha.com/c/ref/grading.zx
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby appjoe » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks Copper Catcher I'll look them up and let you know what I find out
Joe
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby appjoe » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:58 pm

I looked up $20.00 star note and it's not listed it's a ( IG 05132287 * ) The $10.00 Bill is. So what does it mean when it's not listed.
Joe
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:44 pm

The $20 bill you mention is probably too new to have a value listed for it. I'm guessing it's a series 2006 note. If it's in mint (crisp uncirculated) condition, you may want to set that one aside to use only in a time of need. The 2006 series notes were recently switched over to the 2009 series notes, so they're now obsolete. Doesn't mean they're worth a king's ransom, but may be worthwhile.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Banknotes, Exonumia, Philatelics, etc