Canadian Dollar 1954

Discussion about the collecting, buying/selling, exchanging, design, and printing of notes and paper money from around the world, as well as the currency markets generally. Also, the discussion of items related to world currency like exonumia and scripophily.

Canadian Dollar 1954

Postby TXBullion » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:27 am

Today the bank was telling a guy they might have to send off a foreign dollar for exchange. I looked over and swapped a FRN for a 1954 Canadian Dollar Bill. I havent seen one before and this one is pretty beat up. Anything special? :?:
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Canadian Dollar 1954

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Those can go for a decent amount on Ebay if they are VF or better. Otherwise maybe $2.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXBullion » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:13 pm

Ok, thanks for the repsonse. I now they use the "loonies" and "toonies" when I was last there and wasnt sure if they still used bills. Thanks for the info. this one is nothing special so maybe 2 like you said.
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:14 pm

I was able to get $1.50 for them. I had a bunch that I picked up for face and just took whatever profit I could. It is probibly not hard to get $2.00 for them
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby didou » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:42 pm

TXBullion wrote:Ok, thanks for the repsonse. I now they use the "loonies" and "toonies" when I was last there and wasnt sure if they still used bills. Thanks for the info. this one is nothing special so maybe 2 like you said.

$1 paper was pull back in 1988, 2 years after the $1 coins came out. As soon as they realize the coin won't get popular if they keep the bill in circulation, they pull it out. After few week it was impossible to find.

$2 paper was pull back in 1996, same year the coins came out. The planned it very well and the coin replaced the paper instantly.

They are still legal tender but no where to be found in circulation, the RCM did a really good job at pulling them all as soon as they put the coins out.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby rickygee » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:01 am

What's that worth in Canadian Tire currency? :lol:
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Return to Banknotes, Exonumia, Philatelics, etc