World stamps Info/worth question

Discussion about the collecting, buying/selling, exchanging, design, and printing of notes and paper money from around the world, as well as the currency markets generally. Also, the discussion of items related to world currency like exonumia and scripophily.

World stamps Info/worth question

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:34 am

Found a couple envelopes with world stamps from 1900 till 1940 ish... couple hundred stamps mostly cancelled.. anyone have any advice on their possible worth? I can take pics, but Im not sure if it is worth the time... Thanks! Diggin
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: World stamps Info/worth question

Postby merchoarder » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Probably not worth much at all, like maybe 1 buck or two, maybe. Of course its possible you might have a nice stamp or two in there but pretty unlikely.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rob72830 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:16 am

Diggin4copper wrote:Found a couple envelopes with world stamps from 1900 till 1940 ish... couple hundred stamps mostly cancelled.. anyone have any advice on their possible worth? I can take pics, but Im not sure if it is worth the time... Thanks! Diggin

You could take them to a stamp dealer and get them appraised, though I agree with merchoarder that they are probably not worth much. But you never know, you might have a valuable stamp in there. If it was me, I would have them appraised. Good luck, Robert
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby RGJohn » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:26 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:Found a couple envelopes with world stamps from 1900 till 1940 ish... couple hundred stamps mostly cancelled.. anyone have any advice on their possible worth? I can take pics, but Im not sure if it is worth the time... Thanks! Diggin

Ya know, you never know.
Go to the public library with them and compare them to the stamps you find in Scott's. The librarian will help you find the correct books, then you compare with your stamps. Handle them carefully, they are fragile.
---
They could all be trash. They could be all select varieties/examples. They could all be trash with one good'n mixed in.
You just don't know until you look each one up.
RGJohn

Return to Banknotes, Exonumia, Philatelics, etc