5$ and 10$ Canadian Polymer Bank Note Unveiling

Discussion about the collecting, buying/selling, exchanging, design, and printing of notes and paper money from around the world, as well as the currency markets generally. Also, the discussion of items related to world currency like exonumia and scripophily.

5$ and 10$ Canadian Polymer Bank Note Unveiling

Postby henrysmedford » Thu May 02, 2013 9:10 pm

The new polymer notes of $ 5 and $ 10 were presented to the public by the Bank of Canada.
polymer-bank-note-5-10-dollars by henrysmedford, on Flickr
"We made considerable progress in the fight against counterfeiting even before the release of the polymer bank notes. In 2012, for example, the rate of counterfeiting had dropped by 92 per cent from its peak in 2004. These new bank notes offer increased security and will contribute to a further reduction in counterfeiting rates."

The innovative nature of the polymer notes is echoed in the theme of the series - frontiers - because, in so many ways, these notes break new ground. The “frontiers” theme is also reflected in the images chosen to grace these notes. Each denomination represents the best of Canada: scientific discovery on the $100 note, Arctic research on the $50 and valour and sacrifice on the $20. The bank notes we unveil today continue this tradition. The $10 note depicts a great feat of engineering from Canada’s past - the joining of East and West by rail. The $5 note highlights Canada’s technological achievements that look skyward - our contributions to the international space program.

These bank notes will make their début in November, and in the coming months, businesses can begin to prepare for the switch and upgrade their cash-handling machines.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: 5$ and 10$ Canadian Polymer Bank Note Unveiling

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:14 pm

I was just in Ontario 2 weeks ago. While I live in the US, I have a small savings account with the RBC. It grants me all the respect and perks of full-fledged customer. I'm able to bring them any/all quantity of circulating Canadian coinage, worn out/damaged currency, foreign exchange, etc. Without nasty comments, they take bags of hammered, bent, heavily discolored and holed coins. I usually make 2-3 trips per year and combine the border crossing with other fun and interesting things in the area.

I'd seen the new 20$ polymer notes, but never held one. Brought back a few for my general perusal. While talking to a couple of tellers there (it was Saturday and business was slow), they said several alerts have already been sent to them about counterfeit twenties.

With the pending issuance of the plastic 5$ and 10$ notes, can counterfeiting be far behind? Oh, the humanity!
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:13 pm

This story is taken from Sacbee /

Bank of Canada to Begin Circulating New $5 and $10 Polymer Bank Notes
Published Monday, Nov. 04, 2013

OTTAWA, Nov. 4, 2013 -- /CNW/ - The Bank of Canada will begin circulating the new $5 and $10 bills, the final two notes in the new Polymer series, on Thursday, 7 November 2013.

A ceremony to officially issue the new $5 note, which symbolizes Canada's continuing contribution to the International Space Station program through robotics innovation, and features the Canadarm2 and Dextre on the back of the note, will be held at the Canadian Space Agency in Saint-Hubert, Quebec.

Joining Bank of Canada Governor Stephen S. Poloz to speak at the event will be Chris Hadfield, retired Canadian astronaut and former Commander of the International Space Station.

A ceremony to officially issue the $10 note, which represents Canada's great technical feat of linking its eastern and western frontiers by what was, at the time, the longest railway ever built, will be held simultaneously at Vancouver's train station. Joining Senior Deputy Governor Tiff Macklem to speak at the event will be Marc Laliberté, President and CEO of VIA Rail Canada.

At the conclusion of the event, members of the media will have an opportunity to meet with experts to find out more about the theme and various security features, and to purchase new $5 and $10 polymer bank notes.

Media wishing to attend the ceremony are asked to contact Media Relations by 6 November at 12:00 ET (noon) at 613 782-8782 or by e-mail.

Time: At 13:00 (Eastern Time), 10:00 (Pacific Time), journalists, press photographers and TV crews are invited to attend the issue events which will be held simultaneously in Saint-Hubert, QC, and Vancouver, BC. Please be sure to have your press accreditation with you.

Saint- Hubert $5 Event:

John H. Chapman Space Centre 6767 Route de l'Aéroport Saint- Hubert, QC.

Vancouver $10 Event:

Pacific Central Station 1150 Station Street Vancouver, BC.

Note: No Q&A period is scheduled.

Webcast: Audio and video webcasts of the event will be accessible from the Bank's website.

Distribution: A press release and the Governor's and Senior Deputy Governor's remarks will be available at 13:00 (ET), 10:00 (PT), on the Bank's website.

Photo Op: At 13:30 (ET), 10:30 (PT), there will be two photo opportunities at each location:

Saint-Hubert:

featuring the note that Commander Hadfield unveiled from the International Space Station

in front of a life size replica of Canadarm2 and Dextre

Vancouver:

featuring the ceremonial "last spike" of the CP Railway

in front of the Canadian train

Expert Kiosk: At 13:45 (ET), 10:45 (PT), kiosks will be open for journalists to visit and ask questions.

Note Exchange: The new $5 and $10 notes will be available on-site for purchase by members of the media. Only cash purchases will be accepted. There will be no provisions for debit or credit transactions.

Note to Editors: Journalists will be provided with a media kit that will include high-resolution images, an official press release and other relevant information. Video B-roll will also be available. Please note that B-roll may also be downloaded from the Bank's website.

Regional Events: In addition to the national issue events, a series of regional media events will take place on Thursday, 7 November. Bank of Canada Senior Regional Representatives across the country will have new $5 and $10 notes on hand and will be available to answer questions.

Prairies Region: At 11:15 (Mountain Standard Time), media are invited to attend an event at the University of Alberta, Telus Centre, 87 Avenue NW and 111 Street NW, Edmonton, AB.

Ontario Region: At 13:15 (Eastern Time), media are invited to attend an event at the Ontario Science Centre, Hot Zone, 770 Don Mills Road, Toronto, ON.

Atlantic Region: At 14:45 (Newfoundland Time), media are invited to attend an event at the Johnson GEO Centre, 175 Signal Hill Road, St. John's, NL.

Background: On the Polymer series The Bank of Canada issued the $100 bank note in November 2011, followed by the $50 note in March 2012 and the $20 note in November 2012. The $5 and $10 notes are the final notes to be issued in the Polymer series.

SOURCE Bank of Canada
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:50 pm

They look so gaudy, but that's what I thought about the new US $100 until I saw it in person and it isn't half bad.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby hobo finds » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:21 pm

My 13 year old son wants some, If you can get some and want to sell let us know...
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mtalbot_ca » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:30 pm

Hello all,

If anyone is looking for some, I can help you.

FYI, I just went to two local banks nearby and they both told me that the new bills should trickle down to them later next week.

The costs are, (if you want one-two bills):

$5,00 CA = $6,00US shipped
$10.00 CA = $11,00US shipped

or both shipped for $17.00US.

If you want more, PM me with the particulars and I'll see if I can help.

Payment is via ppg or concealed cash.

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pcm2007 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:08 am

I'm interested in buying one of each. Do you accept euros as payment? I live in Spain.
Pedro
pcm2007

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:28 pm

Leads to a question I had often wondered about but never asked until now. Does paypal translate currencies?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pcm2007 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:19 pm

Yes it does so automatically!
Pedro
pcm2007

Return to Banknotes, Exonumia, Philatelics, etc