Tips needed re: stores with "foreign coin" bins.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

Tips needed re: stores with "foreign coin" bins.

Postby thecrazyone » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:09 am

I have now hit a few different locations where they have had a "foreign coin" bin and the price is low for each one.

My question to you guys is, what do you immediately look for first? Date minimums? Specific countries?

I know that various world coins will contain precious metals, but it's a bit hard for me to go to a bin and start looking at every single coin, when I have no background on these. I'm guessing Euro's are good grabs if they are cheap (since currently used today), but wanted to hear the strategies that you guys use.

Thanks!
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Re: Tips needed re: stores with "foreign coin" bins.

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:50 am

I just grab ones that I like. For some reason I like coins with ships on them.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thecrazyone » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:05 pm

TXSTARFIRE wrote:I just grab ones that I like. For some reason I like coins with ships on them.

Thanks for that. I got a bunch of ones recently that are from Iceland, never even know that currency existed!
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:50 pm

TXSTARFIRE wrote:I just grab ones that I like. For some reason I like coins with ships on them.

As you might already know, British half pennies from 1937-1967 have ships on the reverse. The King George ones are worth more than the Queen
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver4face » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:53 pm

If the bin or box is small enough, I will go through ALL of it. I generally target LARGE coins for a variety of reasons.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:11 am

Be careful about buying Euro coins as these may be hard to sell- unless you know of someone traveling to Europe soon. Keep in mind that many banks will NOT accept foreign coins- only currency.

Keep in mind also that the dealer may be buying mixed coins by the pound and therefore could offer a substantial discount and still make a decent profit. As an example, I know a dealer who buys foreign coins other than Canada and Mexico and pays only $3/pound. For Mexico he only pays $1.25/lb.

Coins I like:

Mexico 1 peso from 1957-67 (contain 10% silver)- these are nice decoys to keep on hand if you are robbed at gunpoint)

Coins made of 90% or more nickel from Canada, Ecuador, France, Netherlands, etc.

The old British pennies made of copper (about the size of a half dollar) (they look valuable and also make great decoys)

Just don’t spend too much on them. I often have been able to buy below the melt values.

Get a world coin catalog at a library. Study it and take some notes so you can carry a cheat sheet with you when you are out and about. Good luck.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hobo finds » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:08 pm

I have heard of people making there own coin zoo, with coins with animals on them
hobo finds

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:44 pm

Thanks all for the info- was trying to find a quicker way to determine which ones might be PM's and what are junk. I guess I can always bring my magnet with me to at least determine whether or not they are steel/iron.
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:03 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Be careful about buying Euro coins as these may be hard to sell- unless you know of someone traveling to Europe soon. Keep in mind that many banks will NOT accept foreign coins- only currency.

Keep in mind also that the dealer may be buying mixed coins by the pound and therefore could offer a substantial discount and still make a decent profit. As an example, I know a dealer who buys foreign coins other than Canada and Mexico and pays only $3/pound. For Mexico he only pays $1.25/lb.

Coins I like:

Mexico 1 peso from 1957-67 (contain 10% silver)- these are nice decoys to keep on hand if you are robbed at gunpoint)

Coins made of 90% or more nickel from Canada, Ecuador, France, Netherlands, etc.

The old British pennies made of copper (about the size of a half dollar) (they look valuable and also make great decoys)

Just don’t spend too much on them. I often have been able to buy below the melt values.

Get a world coin catalog at a library. Study it and take some notes so you can carry a cheat sheet with you when you are out and about. Good luck.

I actively buy euro and almost all other foreign exchange coins and bills.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby stas3000 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:32 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Keep in mind also that the dealer may be buying mixed coins by the pound and therefore could offer a substantial discount and still make a decent profit. As an example, I know a dealer who buys foreign coins other than Canada and Mexico and pays only $3/pound. For Mexico he only pays $1.25/lb.

Is that what dealers/coin stores normally pay for ordinary circulated foreign coins sold by weight? Or do amounts vary significantly store to store?
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:54 pm

stas3000 wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:Keep in mind also that the dealer may be buying mixed coins by the pound and therefore could offer a substantial discount and still make a decent profit. As an example, I know a dealer who buys foreign coins other than Canada and Mexico and pays only $3/pound. For Mexico he only pays $1.25/lb.

Is that what dealers/coin stores normally pay for ordinary circulated foreign coins sold by weight? Or do amounts vary significantly store to store?

I think they vary QUITE SIGNIFICANTLY! I was only quoting one where I could access his prices easily.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:14 pm

First thing I look for if it doesn’t seem like there is an opportunity for silver (which just takes experience), is Canadian Looneys $1 and Twonies $2. Easy to sell / convert. If you find a “Pick 5 for $1 bin” or something they can be really good.

Also look for Euro for sure. May ask if they have any foreign paper they need to get rid of.

I also look for commemorative tokens. Sometimes sterling or coin silver stuff winds up in those bins. Check the rims for markings.

I used to do a lot more of this stuff and I miss it, but where I am now in Tallahassee, it seems like less opportunities than the middle of nowhere IL.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics