Calculations on Currently Circulating Mexican Coins

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

Calculations on Currently Circulating Mexican Coins

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:30 am

I have traveled a lot in my lifetime (domestic and abroad) and know perhaps a few dozen world travelers. I also know someone who has a LOT (easily 500-1000# worth) of unsorted Mexican coins, perhaps even several tons worth.

I think there is an opportunity for me to buy a bunch of Mexican coins, sort out that which currently circulates, and sell them to travelers. I have contacts in CA, AZ and TX, the three largest border states.

I fully realize people flying to Mexico could face surcharges for heavy luggage containing perhaps a couple coffee cans of pesos. But those driving south likely wouldn’t have the same issue.

It appears that the 1, 2, 5 and 10 peso coins circulate the most. xe.com shows these coins are worth 5 to 50 cents each in the U.S.

I’m trying to make some basic calculations to determine if I can profitably buy and flip pesos to make a decent profit.

For someone good with calculations, this is what I’d really appreciate:

If you had a standard 34.5 ounce coffee can full of 1 peso coins, approximately how many coins would be inside and what would be the weight of just the contents? Also, I’d like to know the same thing for 2, 5 and 10 peso coins.

Here are the weights and diameters of the coins per Wikipedia:

1 peso: 3.95 grams and 21 millimeters
2 peso: 5.19 grams and 23 millimeters
5 peso: 7.07 grams and 25.5 millimeters
10 peso: 10.329 grams and 28 millimeters

Also, one pound equals 453.5 grams. So, with all that I have determined the following:

Approx. 114.8 one peso coins would weigh 1#. Face value: 115 pesos
Approx. 87.4 two peso coins would weigh 1#. Face value: 175 pesos
Approx. 64.1 five peso coins would weigh 1#. Face value: 320 pesos
Approx. 43.9 ten peso coins would weigh 1#. Face value: 440 pesos

I hope this isn’t too much like solving a Rubik’s Cube! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Recyclersteve on Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Calculations on Currently Circulating Mexican Coins

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:51 am

I just weighed the 1, 2 and 10 peso coins and the weights listed above from Wiki appear to be correct.

The 1 peso coin appears to be almost the same diameter as a U.S. nickel.

The 2 peso is almost the same size as a U.S. quarter.

The 10 peso is almost as big as a U.S. half dollar.

I did some research and have a feel for percentages found in general circulation. I took mintages from 2004-06 and found the percentages to be:

1 peso: 48%
2 peso: 21%
5 peso: 17%
10 peso: 14%
TOTAL: 100%

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips/info.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:36 pm

From my experience they don’t use paper coin rolls, rather they tape stacks of coins together. Can’t recall how many in a stack for each denomination.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:22 pm

Wow- that’s surprising. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a place (domestic or international) that does that. Thx for your reply. Any others?

Recyclersteve

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:28 am

I was in banks in District Federal and Michoacán mainly and observing store cash drawers. Obviously practices may differ in other banks and areas, but I’ve not seen people taping coins in stacks anywhere else in the world. Makes for a nice solid short stack of coins you can toss around without them falling apart.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics