German Saxony 1876 Funf Mark - Advise

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

German Saxony 1876 Funf Mark - Advise

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:36 pm

Any thoughts on what to do with this old Saxony 1876 Funf Mark? I was going to KSA it, but looking it up - it looks like it may be in good enough shape I should pay to have it slabbed - or look for a collector. Anyone have an opinion on this guy?
Attachments
German Saxony State 1876 5 marks.jpg
German Saxony State 1876 5 marks.jpg (166.51 KiB) Viewed 3830 times
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Re: German Saxony 1876 Funf Mark - Advise

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:27 am

No idea what the coin is worth. Unless it is worth at least several hundred dollars, I wouldn't slab it. Also, keep in mind that foreign coins often sell for deep discounts to published figures in price guides. It looks like it would be pretty easy to grade and is an attractive problem free coin IMHO. Slabbed or not, it will likely be difficult to sell unless it is worth roughly melt value. This is the kind of coin I'd expect to see on a Buy Board at an LCS.

To look it up (when you have a little time on your hands), go to en.numista.com. You will see a LOT of German coins there. It might be easier if you go to a local coin shop and ask to see their book of 19th Century foreign coins. Unfortunately, I don't have one.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:02 am

Unless it is worth at least several hundred dollars, I wouldn't slab it

Why?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:04 am

Slabbed or not, it will likely be difficult to sell unless it is worth roughly melt value.

Also why?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Slaphot » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:52 pm

Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Slaphot » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:02 pm

If you put it in a KSA I would bid.
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:06 pm

There's a brisk market on e-bay with completed sales between 30-70. Different mints and states. I love big Silver.

That particular coin may not be worth a slab. But it''s a good one.
Thogey

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:00 am

Responding to Thogey’s questions-

I haven’t kept up closely with fees for slabbing lately. That said, let’s say this costs $30-40 to get slabbed. Let’s look at Morgan dollars in general. The difference in price between MS-65 and MS-66 (or, better yet, 66 & 67) can be several hundred to many thousands of dollars, easily enough to justify paying the fee. The coin in the photo looks XF to me- I’d expect lustre for an AU grade, but the hair on the obverse has way too much detail for me to grade it only VF. I think the chances of getting this graded AU are almost zero.

I would imagine that someone might actually prefer buying this coin raw (instead of slabbed) as they would likely pay less to acquire it. Also, if it is going into any kind of set, I would think it would be unlikely that the whole set would be slabbed.

As to why it would be difficult to sell- if it is worth way more than melt value, I would think there would be a limited market for it. Many dealers I speak with say it is hard enough to sell even key date U.S. coins at anything close to a retail price.
Last edited by Recyclersteve on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:07 am

Slaphot wrote:If you put it in a KSA I would bid.

KSA might actually be a decent idea.

Recyclersteve

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:45 pm

I don't think the value is high enough to justify the grading fees. I also don't know if it will grade.

KSA it and I bet you will get a fair price. If you are looking at the catalog values in a Krause its good to note that German prices are usually very high vrs reality.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed May 20, 2020 12:02 pm

Probably a VF, if it grades. Cool coin though.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics