Does anyone here collect MEXICAN coins?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

Does anyone here collect MEXICAN coins?

Postby uthminsta » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:50 am

I decided to start completely from scratch and build a new wantlist for (United States of) Mexico coins (1905-present). So I slowly read through the Krause book and put it together, taking out all the years where a certain coin wasn't made, adding in all the transitional years where two coins were made of the same denomination, adding in all the overdates and other varieties, and so on.

"Yes, I see that there are two 1985 ten pesos, now which is this one here?" Where there are two different type coins of the same denomination with the same date, I tried to come up with the SIMPLEST way of pointing out the difference, so someone who has NEVER read a Krause book - or done research on varieties - or even if they had never seen the coins before - could tell which one they have, while sifting through a handful of coins at home or browsing the junk bin at the local coin shop.

So I built the list. Then I saved a separate copy.

THEN I started removing all the coins I own, so I would be left with my own personalized wantlist. Should have that done and posted soon...

The key here is that I saved a copy in case anyone is interested in a list of their own. This does not include all the strictly commemorative coins, nor does it include any of the gold coins. But as mentioned above, it does have the varieties mentioned in the 2010 Krause North American Coins book.

I also started on a "Second Republic" (1863-1905) list, but quickly realized there are hundreds upon hundred of varieties and mints, and came to the conclusion that there is no simple way to display the data for such a task. Decided the most succinct way to do that would be just to build a date-list (one per year per denomination). Have that too, in case you want it.

"So how much would you charge, since you put so much work into it?" Glad you asked. :lol: That's not really my point, but I would ask that you check out my wantlist and see if you may have a coin or two you could send me. If not, no biggie.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Does anyone here collect MEXICAN coins?

Postby uthminsta » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:04 pm

No? Wow.
uthminsta

Postby DoctorMetal » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:04 pm

Are you talking about ... the centavos from 1864-1951? Their precious metal content varies by denomination and year from 30% to 42% to 72% to 80% to 90% (the 1864-97 ones). I don't collect centavos. I go for the larger one ounce round sized 90% pesos that have some historical significance and can be had fairly cheaply. Here's a list:
1 peso (90%) 1866-1914 Cabalito horse
2 pesos (90%) 1921 Winged Victory (the design the LIbertad was based on)
5 pesos (90%) 1947-48 Cuauhtemoc (these are the ones you see most often sold by vendors)
10 pesos (90%) 1960 Hidalgo/Madero commemorative
DoctorMetal
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:52 pm

I collect the itty bitty gold ones :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby uthminsta » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:44 pm

beauanderos wrote:I collect the itty bitty gold ones :lol:

Yeah I was in the local coin shop Friday and someone brought in "some stuff I was wondering if you guys might be interested in..." You probably know the scenario. There was some junk and some good stuff, including a 1945 dos peso. Tiny gold.
So I did what I do every time someone comes in with this kinda stuff. I pretend to be looking at stuff in the display cases, and I eavesdrop. :shh: Don't judge me, I've earned it! :lol: So anyway, when they finalize the purchase, and the seller walks out, I ask about something in the lot. This time it was the two peso. The owners were at a coin show for the weekend, so the "substitutes" were working. They don't generally have as much leeway to sell stuff to me cheap, so I didn't bother asking how much they would sell it for.
But it was a pretty little piece of gold.
uthminsta

Postby silversurfer » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:02 am

beauanderos wrote:I collect the itty bitty gold ones :lol:

+ 1

Nice low premium on those.
silversurfer

Postby DoctorMetal » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:40 am

medals
DoctorMetal
Penny Pincher Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:21 am

Update on the post about Friday.
Went in and bought it. They hadn't even gotten around to processing it yet. It was still sitting with the collection they had bought.
Now I've got me one o my own. It's my first Mexican gold.
And my wantlist is up-to-date.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/138n ... sp=sharing
uthminsta

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics