Estate Sale Score

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

Estate Sale Score

Postby Heartkill » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:45 pm

Hit up a local estate sale today and nabbed this bag of foreign coins for $3. :mrgreen: I'm know the 1959 Canadian dime is silver, but what about the rest? I think the big Australian might be silver, feels and sounds like it anyways. Anything good in this pile?

The bag of coins

The lot from left to right: 1943 2 Francs, 1929 One Penny (Great Britian?), 1943 Mexico 5 Centavos, 1941 Belgium 5 FR,
1941 Australia, 1959 Canada 10 cents, 1948 Mexico 1 centavos, 1949 Germany 10 pfennig, 1954 India one pice,
1955 three pence, 1949 Germany 50 pfennig, 1955 Italy 5?

1941 Australia and 1959 Canada - these are silver I believe

1929 One Penny - this thing is huge!
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Re: Estate Sale Score

Postby Thogey » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:54 pm

You did good!
The florin is 925 .3363 asw about 10 buck melt for that one!

Why don't you post this over on the good deals thread.

It was a steal! congratulations
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Heartkill » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Thogey wrote:You did good!
The florin is 925 .3363 asw about 10 buck melt for that one!

Why don't you post this over on the good deals thread.

It was a steal! congratulations

Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll post this over there too. This estate sale company price their coins incredibly cheap. Last week at a different estate sale my wife bought a bag of "1950's" coins from a showcase for $10. Opened it up and there were 12 1952 Cuban 20 Centavos coins and 2 silver Cuban dimes.
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:54 pm

i don't live in your area, but how do i do this. is estate sale a euphamism for garage sale or do you mean an auction house?
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Heartkill » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:51 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:i don't live in your area, but how do i do this. is estate sale a euphamism for garage sale or do you mean an auction house?

Estate sales are a blast! Imagine a garage sale, inside a house, where just about everything is priced for sale; that in a nut shell is an estate sale. Their usually held for someone deceased, when members of the family are just too overwhelmed to deal with all of the "stuff", thus great deals can be had since they just want to sell everything quickly. They usually run Fri-Sun, and to get the best deals it helps to be there when they open on the first day. Sunday sales usually knock 50% after a certain time to sell whatever is left over. Check craiglist (type estate sale), newspapers, or even online. There's about 2-3 per weekend around here in middle-Georgia. I make a decent profit off of buying and reselling antiques at them as well. Good luck with it LT!
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:35 pm

I often buy coins from some folks who handle estate sales.

As far a Foreign stuff, they are not going to spend time researching a small lot of wierd coins.

They have cars and furniture to sell.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:10 am

how do you find legit estate sales and distinguish them from just garage sales?
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby winchester333 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:47 pm

That 1943 French 2 franc is pretty interesting. It was made by the Vichy government during the german occupation and is aluminum.
winchester333

Postby Heartkill » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:57 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:how do you find legit estate sales and distinguish them from just garage sales?

Estatesales.net is a great place to start.
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby twentybux » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:41 pm

Nice finds Heartkill! Nice looking coins, especially when you find silver!
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby .02FYI » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:49 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:how do you find legit estate sales and distinguish them from just garage sales?

Lemon they will be listed in your newspaper, you could go to trouble of calling some listed estate sales companies in your phone book white or yellow pages or looking them up on line and calling and having tem add you to there list . This way you will know when they have a sale and you can go. I've not done this however know each estate sales guy/gal has a dedicated following of people who come to there sale . they can email most likely way. good luck and post how it works for you.
.02FYI
Penny Pincher Member

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics