How would you sort and file world coins.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

How would you sort and file world coins.

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:34 am

We have been sorting my sons coin counter finds. We tube the ones that we have five are more of and then have a A-Z folder for the rest. So what is the right way to file. Would you put España under Spain. And CCCP under Russia. Any thoughts do you put them in US names are what is on the coin.
Thanks Joe
Franklin's Dad
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: How would you sort and file world coins.

Postby aloneibreak » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:03 pm

i personally file mine using the English Names
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:17 pm

That's a level of detail that I don't even try to approach, but I use English names for sure.

I don't have near the quantity that I think you get, but I use plastic bottles for the ones I get in volume (UK, Euro, Brazil, Jamaica, etc - multiple bottles for Canada). For most of the countries that I have in smaller numbers I just use a 30 slot plastic box with a lid, like you often see for screws, washer, etc.

In the box I file by world region, frankly. Central/South America/Caribbean in one quadrant, Middle East to Asia/Oceania in another quadrant, historical Europe in a third, and everything else in the fourth. The countries I get the most of get their own slot. Onsey-twosey's share slots. So far it's working, but if I get so many that I fill this up I'll readjust.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Verbane » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:38 pm

The English name will facilitate communication with fellow collectors, since we overwhelmingly use the English names, and all the major American reference material will be alphabetical by English name.

Organize the countries any way you like. Alphabetically, geographically, by continent. I file alphabetically, with colonies and commomwealth countries alphabetically after the parent country.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby HPMBTT » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:10 pm

I currently file my world coins this way:

1. Gold :D
2. Silver 8-)
3. Copper
4. Everything else combined

Yes, for those that are curious....I seriously thought about putting all my nickel bullion coins together (ie French Franc, CDN Nickel), but then realized that I don't have a large enough amount yet (I need to work on that).
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics