State quarter with no sign of copper???

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

State quarter with no sign of copper???

Postby uthminsta » Wed May 30, 2012 1:45 am

Alright, here's a state quarter that is puzzling me. I've been looking around for information on it, but I don't yet know what I am looking at. What I do know is THIS COIN DOES NOT HAVE THE BROWN COPPER EDGE "STRIPE." It's hard to describe, but you all know exactly what I mean - the stripe we all look for when we edge sort. IT'S NOT THERE.
This is a P mint, so it's definitely not a silver proof. Doesn't ring like silver either. Sounds exactly like all the other clad quarters. Weighs 5.7 grams, just like all the other clad quarters I have. Not magnetic. My next thought was - could this be plated? It really doesn't look like it is.
Not getting my hopes up, but seriously... what the heck is this?!?!
Image Image
Image Image
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: State quarter with no sign of copper???

Postby The_Tallness » Wed May 30, 2012 1:52 am

I'm really hoping this quarter is something special, seeing as how I accidentally dropped it into the cracks between the surface of the picnic table at the ice cream stand, and we had to go back when they were closing so we could partially disassemble the table and retrieve it. :D
The_Tallness

Postby BlackOut » Wed May 30, 2012 1:52 am

I had one just like this. I assumed that it was the way it was mfg'd and the copper just didn't show the sandwich like it normally does...
BlackOut
Penny Collector Member

Postby Bluegill » Wed May 30, 2012 2:40 pm

BlackOut wrote:I had one just like this. I assumed that it was the way it was mfg'd and the copper just didn't show the sandwich like it normally does...

I have found two dimes like that. One didn't show copper anywhere, even under 5X magnification. The other barely showed a hint of copper at the very edge on just a few reeds.

Near as I can tell the cladding smeared around and came in contact with the other side smearing around and sealed off the core. Or the cladding on one side smeared all the way to the other edge. But I honestly don't know for sure.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Wed May 30, 2012 3:11 pm

Interesting possibility, Bluegill. That sounds feasible. Under that scenario, we're talking a few bucks -- maybe?

Now, if we're talking about a legitimate wrong-planchet error, which I had thought earlier, it would likely fetch quite a bit more. But I don't usually find valuable stuff. :) And I've been taught, if you see hoof-prints, think horse, not zebra.
uthminsta

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed May 30, 2012 8:59 pm

Have Joe contact his penny/coin expert. You got a NICE keeper!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby henrysmedford » Wed May 30, 2012 9:52 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Have Joe contact his penny/coin expert. You got a NICE keeper!

Before your post I sent this. I will post when I hear back.

to Mike
Any thoughts on this one.

Thanks Joe

http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15202
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed May 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Still think it's worth more than a quarter....not silver...but a mint error.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby henrysmedford » Wed May 30, 2012 10:57 pm

henrysmedford wrote:
TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Have Joe contact his penny/coin expert. You got a NICE keeper!

Before your post I sent this. I will post when I hear back.

to Mike
Any thoughts on this one.

Thanks Joe

http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15202

OK here is what I know.

Every example I've seen was plated outside the Mint. I assume that's the case for this one.

Mike

And I asked --
If he wanted to send it to you for a look over could he. Also If it was re-plated would it weigh more?

Thanks Joe

BTW Mike Diamond BIO

Mike Diamond

Mike Diamond has been collecting error coins since 1997 and has been researching and writing about them since 1999. He has written numberless articles for Errorscope, Coin World, and other publications. He is currently President of CONECA and moderator of the CONECA Error-Variety Coin Forum. In 2001 he started the Error Coin Information Exchange (Yahoo: Groups) and has hosted it ever since. Mike writes the weekly column "Collector's Clearinghouse" for Coin World. He also compiled a 20-page comprehensive listing of error and varieties that covers every conceivable type. Over the years, Mike has discovered many new error types and advanced the understanding of many more.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Thu May 31, 2012 12:15 am

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Have Joe contact his penny/coin expert.

I was thinking EXACTLY that. Glad to see he did it already! Thanks Joe!

Mike Diamond wrote:Every example I've seen was plated outside the Mint. I assume that's the case for this one.

henrysmedford wrote:If it was re-plated would it weigh more?

I would assume it would weigh more, but it couldn't be very much more, or all the details would start to look "thicker." Right? My scale "only" goes to the nearest tenth gram, so I couldn't tell for sure with what I have on hand. Should be 5.67 grams. It reads 5.7 grams, which it would whether plated or not. Unless there's SIGNIFICANT plating. As for appearance, the coin looks EXACTLY like the thousands of other quarters that have run through my hands over the years. So if it is plated, it is plated with something that is identical to "normal" coins.

This may have to be a KSA. Just sayin.
uthminsta

Postby henrysmedford » Thu May 31, 2012 8:01 am

The additional weight would be negligible. The coin would still fall within the normal range of variation for quarters.

Mike
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu May 31, 2012 9:01 am

WOW......I stand corrected! Maybe I was thinking about a quarter missing the clad part and was mostly copper. I must be getting old!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics