Is it worth stripping insulation off of degausing cables?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Is it worth stripping insulation off of degausing cables?

Postby ilyaz » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:58 am

I took apart a few old TVs and monitors and took out the cones from the back of the picture tubes and the degausing cables. I can do this and also get all the copper from one cone in about 5 mins, but stripping insulation off of degausing cables is pain in the neck. The question is: is it even worth doing? Am I going to get much more for just the copper from the cables than for the same copper wrapped in insulation? Thanks.
ilyaz
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Is it worth stripping insulation off of degausing cables

Postby Hades12 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:28 pm

once stripped off it becomes #1 at my yard and pays about %50 more most times. well worth it.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:41 pm

I've gotten bare bright prices at some yards for stripped degaussing coils, but usually it goes as #1 copper.

Unraveling the insulation by hand is OK if you have down time during your day job or while watching TV. Otherwise it's slow and not a good use of time for most people. Try different techniques with a razor knife.

The return for degaussing coils, especially thick ones, is very high. If you have a large quantity unstripped, bring in a sample to a yard you do business with. They can determine the return and may be willing to quote a price higher than normal #1 insulated. It's always worth asking, and could save you some time. Usually yards are willing to work with regular customers, especially if you have large amount of a certain material.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theirrationalist » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:40 pm

I usually sit down for about an hour with a box of degaussing coils, and cut straight down the center of them with a box cutter. After about an hour, I'm usually finished with the box and I've made what feels like almost double as much money. Its definitely the way to go.
theirrationalist
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage