Hunter Gather instincts

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Hunter Gather instincts

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:31 pm

So to fulfill my underutilized parts of my brain I scan the sides of the roads for aluminum cans while biking. I Bike about 15 miles or so a couple times a week taking different routes. Sometimes I am in a rush and pass cans by :cry: but if I got the time I strap them under my bungee cords on my bike rack. Problem is sometimes there gets to be too many cans even when I crush them. Hence the photo here which is only about 3 miles into the ride on a beautiful route through through the Arcata bottoms today. Then I just got to look for a discarded plastic bag, which I found shortly after I took this photo. I get weird looks sometimes but I just claim I am an alchoholic. :D The waterway in the photo leads to the ocean so picking up plastic and cans also makes me feel better about the giant plastic trash patch out in the Pacific. I don't pick them up for the money, and fun of it, It's cause I am an environmentalist! :lol:
Attachments
IMG_5231.JPG
IMG_5231.JPG (166.74 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Re: Hunter Gather instincts

Postby MetalMan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:56 pm

cool....I do the same thing, but not too many cans because I prefer mine uncrushed to clean and store. I use a backpack at all times, you may want to try that too.
MetalMan
Penny Sorter Member

Postby wayne1956 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:03 pm

I do the same but will take a plastic bag with me (actually a couple as sometimes I will fill one with crushed cans). I also wear pants with cargo pockets as I often find wheel weights, insulated wire, etc.
wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:08 pm

What a nice pic. BR keep up the good work. A little this and that, here and there adds up for the wallet and makes the countryside cleaner too. ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby coinwolf » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:51 pm

How green of you Rodebaugh!
coinwolf
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage