What Did You Find? (Non-Numismatic Stuff)

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

What Did You Find? (Non-Numismatic Stuff)

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:21 am

There is already a thread titled "What Did You Scrap?" but I thought I'd add a new one.

Drumroll please- this is the first posting of the brand spanking new "What Did You Find?" thread. Most small change stuff should be put onto the Coinstar thread instead, except when it is unusual or of a much larger amount.

Findings for this thread can include ALL KINDS OF STUFF and it should generally be something other than money or currency.

We were having dinner recently and my wife broke out a list- she said it was a list of over $2,500 in stuff that we found so far this calendar year. I started rattling off a few things that she didn't put on the list and realized it was more than the $2,500 figure she said.

For instance, I found the following just recently:

A $20 bill
A nicely made end table (have to see it to believe it- Artisan by Karman brand- custom made- probably about $350-400) (can't find a
thing wrong with it)
A Dyson ball type vacuum cleaner (Model DC41 Animal type with 35-foot cord-and it works!) (about $500-600 new)

I'll add one other thing that I find a lot of- light bulbs. I find all types of light bulbs (including a very expensive Cree bulb) sitting by the curb and have spoken with several scrappers who feel they may never have to pay for another bulb for perhaps as long as they live. I LOVE when people throw out old chandeliers with 10-20 bulbs on them.

Think about stuff you've found sitting by the curb, in a public trash can, in a dumpster that you are allowed to go into, from Craigslist curb alerts, etc. etc.

What else can everyone else add to the thread? (Personal footnote- This is OFFICIALLY my 3,000th posting on this fine website!)
Last edited by Recyclersteve on Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What Did You Find?

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:41 pm

I found a smashed 0.5g 14k gold earring in a parking lot. Not quite as good as your $20 bill, but I'll take free gold any day!

I've got you beat in the vacuum department; two weeks ago I found a Kirby Sentria on the side of the road. It's the first Kirby I've ever seen in the wild and it even has the complete shampoo kit with it. I should be able to get around $200 for it on craigslist.

I have a plastic tub full of light bulbs of all kinds and sizes that I go to whenever a bulb I have burns out. I haven't bought any bulbs in years. I have a similar stockpile of lightly used AA, AAA, C, D, and 9-volt batteries.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CrazyTom » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:01 pm

There have been things I've found on the Pounds of Metal per Mile threads that I've never noted. Now that this thread is here
I'll try to remember to add the curios I come up with.

One unique thing in 2019 was a Terrible Towel from the Pittsburgh Steelers. What was interesting was that it had only 5 Superbowls noted on it instead
of the current six. It was in pretty good shape so I washed it. This was found in Mesa, Az. And I myself am from Pittsburgh!
Pedal to the metal.

CrazyTom's equation; More Traffic + More Miles = More Metal
CrazyTom
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cwgii » Tue May 26, 2020 1:35 am

Like most, I find all sorts of stuff that I think is re usable. Well today was a first. Dumpster diving, there was a bunch of household stuff in the recycling. .,a ring caught my eye. Got home m,magnification revealed it was .925.
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue May 26, 2020 3:22 am

I’m gonna add something I found, but did NOT pick up. It is a wine cooler type cabinet with a capacity for either 160 or 166 bottles. It weighed about 350# and was too big for the opening I had for it, so I left it behind. I looked up the price online and it was $5,100+. A couple days later it was gone. I bet someone is really happy. And it came from a million dollar plus home and looks nearly new. I’m guessing it was a couple where only one drank and perhaps that person passed away- or perhaps there was a divorce...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby hirbonzig » Tue May 26, 2020 6:05 am

Found a 1950’s beehive Osterizer blender on the curb. Looks like with shipping they go for around $60 on eBay.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coindood » Tue May 26, 2020 11:50 am

While checking Coinstars this week I found a nice zippered pouch abandoned on the top of the machine. It'll be perfect for bringing my usual $20-$25 in rolled coin to the bank each month.

Cleaning out my car interior was a COVID activity recently and under the passenger seat I found a silverplate fork. I've owned this car since 2013 and my parents had it before that (since 2003). None of us had a set of silverplate.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby etaion_99 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:05 pm

Roughly 2' by 4' live edge coffee table. Similar ones retail for upwards of $400.

It'll be the centerpiece in the living room of the new house once we replace that ugly carpet.
etaion_99

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:18 pm

Very nice find! I can see someone paying $400 for it.

By the way, welcome to this fine site. You might want to go to the Member Introductions area and tell us a bit about yourself.

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:58 pm

Well, I paid for it but....
8 inch bowl.
Paul Revere reproduction
Rogers
Sterling
212 25 /6

Is it silver???? Not marked .925 butttt foes say Sterling.
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:59 pm

Today in a recycling bin...4 ceiling fans and a microwave.
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:28 pm

Well, no silver.poor man's silver. A pewterdish,bowl about 4 inch diameter.
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:19 am

Something a bit different for this thread-

An old boss of mine was getting ready to throw something that weighed about 35# into the trash. It was a little bit smaller than a tall kitchen trash can. He told me he’d already declared it scrap. I said I’d take it.

What was it? It was a hard disk drive for an old Sperry brand mainframe computer. The capacity was a measly 120 MB (not GB or TB as they use now). When new it cost $120,000 in the 1990’s, the price of a modest home in those days. I still have it in my garage and plan on donating to a museum someday if I can get a decent tax writeoff.

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:35 pm

I just got 6 ,32 gallon trash cans.no holes, one has a cracked rim.
This will allow for yet more, storage of crushed plastic.
They were ,ac.e brand, but really are Rubbermaid
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:52 am

A wheelchair. Donated to DAV
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:31 am

cwgii wrote:A wheelchair. Donated to DAV

Nice donation!

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:39 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
cwgii wrote:A wheelchair. Donated to DAV

Nice donation!

It is what DAV is about. Helping the lives of vets.
Someone at a Catholic health clinic, knew that by putting it next to the dumpster.somebody would put it to use.
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:24 am

I was out driving Sunday night and went by a dumpster. On the ground next to the dumpster was a hefty trash bag full of aluminum cans. Someone was courteous enough to set them out for recycling. Nice touch.

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:19 pm

I had one apartment complex that would do it.got some bed frames from them too.
cwgii

Postby Morsecode » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:05 pm

This must've fallen off Santa's sleigh. Found in the road at the end of the driveway. Guessing it weighs in at 8 or 10 lbs.

:thumbup:

Makes me want to sort Lincolns again.
Attachments
20210103_120639-picsay_copy_1321x1544_copy_660x771.jpg
20210103_120639-picsay_copy_1321x1544_copy_660x771.jpg (245.84 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby cwgii » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:37 pm

At a recycling dumpster, a gas grill.broken down, a little, but had to be two guys to get it in.so, there goes the promise to the OL to not pick up steel.
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:02 pm

Preachn to the choir. People are stupid.
Today there was a satellite dish in the recycling.
cwgii

Postby ScottyTX » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:55 pm

Went to an estate sale this past weekend and spotted a pair of 7 light candelabra's that was marked with 2 hallmarks and 800 in between, C Frey and Sohne. The lady running the sale said you know those aren't silver right...... I wasn't 100% sure at the time but she said take it off my hands for 10.00 if you want them. Got them home and they are .800 fine German made silver candelabra's that weigh in over 4 pounds (unweighted), hummm. Can't seem to find out much about them online but was extremely excited none the less!!
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:29 am

ScottyTX wrote:Went to an estate sale this past weekend and spotted a pair of 7 light candelabra's that was marked with 2 hallmarks and 800 in between, C Frey and Sohne. The lady running the sale said you know those aren't silver right...... I wasn't 100% sure at the time but she said take it off my hands for 10.00 if you want them. Got them home and they are .800 fine German made silver candelabra's that weigh in over 4 pounds (unweighted), hummm. Can't seem to find out much about them online but was extremely excited none the less!!

Your risk/reward was huge with just a tiny $10 payment.

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:49 pm

In sorting a hoarders sheds..
I am keeping.15 box wrenches, many hose clamps, nuts, washers,lag screw's,pliers,screw drivers, a plane, 2 camping stoves, 20 foot chain,4 rachet straps.
Turned in $500 of copper, brass, wire. Still have %20 left to sort.
cwgii

Next

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage