Does Anyone Keep a Stockpile of Bare Bright Copper?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Does Anyone Keep a Stockpile of Bare Bright Copper?

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:12 pm

I'm curious if any of the scrappers on this site purposely keep a stockpile of bare bright copper wire on hand for a SHTF scenario. Copper is used in so many things that I thought it might be good to consider keeping a bucket full of bare bright. I don't know specifically what I'd use it for (perhaps barter?), but figured there might be value in having it on hand. And I am not referring to having containers of copper coins on hand- I am specifically referring to copper wire.

What does everyone else think?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Does Anyone Keep a Stockpile of Bare Bright Copper?

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:02 am

I got a bunch of it. I never miss an opportunity to bring home copper scrap. It has become a real hassle to weed-eat around it in the back yard. I have to keep putting out rat poison, too.

I got scrap copper stuffed into every little space I can find in my garage, storage unit, shed behind the house, and now lying on the lawn. I will post some pics as soon as I remember how, of what is in my backyard. I have not bothered to strip it out of it's various products. I figure there will be plenty of time for that should I need copper to buy food and medicine.
Last edited by Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay on Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:54 am

I've never thought of it as a literal stockpile, but I have kept a few small containers of bare stripped copper, and I have a tube of power wire of various types that isn't stripped, and I use it for various things (hanging heavy pictures, etc - sort of like "bailing wire" used to get used on the farm/ranch), to wire things up, etc, but it's also a mini-stockpile of sorts I suppose.

Tub not tube :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby messymessy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:53 pm

Seems silly to stockpile bare bright for a SHTF scenario. Seems like insulated wire would be much more useful. Something like a few rolls of new 12-2 Romex or even single strand #12 THHN.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:26 am

I am going to extract the copper from a bunch of fans today. What is the best plastic bucket to store it in? If I remember right, anything with "chloride, chlorine, etc." is bad for copper. It causes it to tarnish, right? Are "food grade" buckets best?

When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:56 am

Here are pictures of somet of what is in my backyard:
ImageImage
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby smackvay » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:06 am

I have a ac unit graveyard in my back yard lol
maybe 100 outside units from 2-7.5 ton
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby messymessy » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:54 am

smackvay wrote:I have a ac unit graveyard in my back yard lol

Wow - you must have a big back yard! My wife would kill me.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:59 am

smackvay wrote:I have a ac unit graveyard in my back yard lol

WOW!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:56 am

I had a barrel I was filling up with copper wire...i gave it to the scrap guy that drives our 'hood...along with a 25 year old stainless grill and an old lawnmower...they were happy.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage