It Pays to Shop Around

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

It Pays to Shop Around

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:40 am

I turned in 85# of insulated #2 copper wire (soft wire) last week and got 25 cents a pound for it. Frankly, this was disappointing- recently I got 40-45 cents/lb. With all the work snipping ends and removing impediments, it was a lot of work for little money. This is in an area where there are 3-4 yards nearby and the one I dealt with offered the best pricing.

Fast forward to today. I checked another part of town that is 8-10 miles further away. I was in line with a guy behind me who appeared to be homeless (he had a grocery cart with clothing on it and no vehicle). When I was at the cashier, he was again right behind me. He asked how much I got- I told him I got $47 and he said he got about double that with just what was in his shopping cart. I drive an SUV.

I was curious and we struck up a conversation. He said he once made $5k in a week, which sounded beyond belief. He said he knew of a business and when their fiscal year ended they threw out a bunch of brass. I wonder if he struck up a deal with someone else to use their truck or something. Who knows.

I asked about other places he goes and the prices he gets and he referred me to a couple that were out of my way, but offered much better prices than what I've gotten.

Here is the whopper... I found a place that will give me 70 cents a pound for the soft insulated #2 wire that I was getting 25 cents a pound for. AND THERE IS NO NEED TO STRIP OFF THE ENDS/PLUGS! Almost triple the money and I will save hundreds of hours of labor and my poor aching hands. I am absolutely floored that I got such a deal.

If I hadn't struck up a conversation with the homeless guy, this may have never happened. I wish I had bought him dinner. I may never see him again. Oh well...

My dad says things happen for a reason. Perhaps the time spent snipping with little return was to get me to appreciate how good scrapping can be. I thought I appreciated it before. Now I really do!!!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: It Pays to Shop Around

Postby cwgii » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:01 pm

with all the yards in tucson it too has a large variation of values,,, most places pay 40-50 cents for cans but one is still at 75.

half for profit half for being a nice guy. when i see a gent with cans, i offer to buy them . saqving him a trip to the yard ,, which may be a couple miles of walking. and boosting the amount i turn in at one time- which used to gave me a nickel bonus if over 100 pounds.
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:46 am

Well I am humbled. It didn't work out nearly as well as I thought. First, when I went back to the place that quoted 70 cents/lb.
(type 2 insulated copper wire- NO NEED TO SNIP THE ENDS) they said they ran out of cash and were turning people away. I pushed back and said that if I were to come back the next day I at least wanted to know what they would pay. I had someone come to my car and quote 15 cents/lb. (vs. 70 cents!) for type 2 insulated wire without snipping the ends. I reminded him that he (the same guy) quoted me 70 cents on Friday evening. He said, "But prices change due to market conditions." I replied that they don't go from 70 to 15 just like that.

After leaving (not pleased- I might add) it occurred to me that he had a very thick accent. Maybe he was trying to say 17 instead of 70 and the price went from 17 to 15 over the weekend (instead of from 70 to 15). I was still disappointed and upset. I didn't want to drive home and have to come back the next day.

So I went to another couple of scrapping places a few miles away. The second one quoted 28 cents for some of the (type 2 insulated with no ends snipped) wire and 45 cents for the other. The wire didn't have just ends that would need to be snipped but also inline boxes as well. So this was an average of 36.5 cents/lb. without any snipping needed. As I figured that the ends and all the inline boxes that needed to be cut out could add 10-20% to the weight, this was really equal to 40-44 cents/lb. at the old place (which only paid 25 cents/lb. even with all the snipping work I did).

So it was a no brainer for me to take this price. I just had the number 70 in my head, so I was somewhat disappointed. But my hands are rejoicing. And my wife is thinking the back yard is looking much better than it did just recently. So I guess that is all that is important.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Mercuryman » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:57 am

Aww! Sorry to hear it's not what you expected. Atleast it did lead to you locating another scrapyard that makes your life easier and pays a bit better. I deal with foreign truck drivers all day long... So i can easily see how 17 and 70 could be mixed up.
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage