What do You Like about Your Scrapyard?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

What do You Like about Your Scrapyard?

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:36 pm

We have a thread that was just started about things that upset us about our local scrapyard. Now I am adding a new one, namely "What do You Like about Your Scrapyard?"

I'll start:

1) It gives me a place where I can dispose of stuff to keep it out of landfills.
2) It gives me a way to supplement my income (Disclaimer: This is NOT a big money maker for most and I'd even guess that scrapping is a skill that comes with a 1-2 year learning curve. By that I mean, knowing what to pick up to make money (so avoiding things that look valuable but aren't (example: trophies appear to be metal but the vast majority are plastic)).
3) I get to see things that others have dropped off and get new ideas for things to look for.

What else does everyone LIKE about their local scrap yard?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What do You Like about Your Scrapyard?

Postby NotABigDeal » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:19 am

The yard doesn't hassle us at all. Best prices and perks for us regulars. They offload everything with a forklift and pay well.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby mtalbot_ca » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:00 pm

I appreciate saturday’s hot-dog party at the yard, at which they invite their weekend scrappers.
Last edited by mtalbot_ca on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby smackvay » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:14 pm

They know me and I have zero issues and always get the best prices
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:54 am

When the owner of the yard is outside and makes a point to thank you for bringing in your scrap.
hobo finds

Postby Aghead » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:39 pm

They do not make me wear a mask :thumbup:
They take old lawnmowers with plastic and even with tires still on them.
Tin, heavy thick metal, size/length does not matter... all pays the same price

They were $10./100# last week. :clap:
Aghead

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:27 pm

The best thing about mine is they have a very competitive price on light iron/shred and they also take some of the dirtiest stuff in it including:

- office chairs, cushions and all
- all car parts except tires, including plastic trim and seats
- child car seats
- intact microwaves
- intact air conditioners
- copy machines
- inkjet and laser printers
- low quality electronics (VCRs, remote controls)
- keyboards
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:38 pm

I am not as into it as most of you guys, but the place I just "found" has new owners who seemed really nice. I was surprised at the amount on my ticket, too. It's not the closest location to me but I almost have another load ready and thats where I'll take it.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:04 am

I have to add something I didn’t know when I created this thread a few years ago.

Specifically, their definition of clean aluminum is different than mine. And that’s GREAT news to me. Let me explain…

I thought clean meant that a dirty or dusty aluminum panel had to be wiped down with a wet rag. Not true! When they talk about clean, they mean panels that don’t have any wires or screws on them. That will save me many HOURS of prep time in the future!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage