Caution RE: Dumpster Danger

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Caution RE: Dumpster Danger

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:12 pm

A new danger reared its ugly head yesterday and it was something I would have not anticipated. I was looking into a dumpster trying to reach a piece of aluminum and the top of the dumpster fell and hit me on the head. This is one of those dumpsters where you lift the top up and it rests against a metal piece on the back of the dumpster. So when open the top points skyward. Lots of these have plastic tops, but this one had to have a steel top that is quite heavy (I'd guess maybe 40-50 pounds).

A gust of wind came and blew the top down onto my head. The force of the impact caused me to bite down on my lip and also caused my glasses to fly off and into the now closed dumpster. I was spitting up quite a bit of blood and had a very nasty bump on my head. It was still gusty out and I realized I had to retrieve my glasses. So imagine being in pain and having to lift the metal part with one hand and hold it up while using the other hand to retrieve the glasses- all with the wind howling.

When I got home my wife asked me what my birthdate was, just to make sure I didn't have a concussion. Fortunately, I wasn't dizzy and didn't have a headache. But the bump hurts even when I lay on my pillow.

Stay careful out there!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Caution RE: Dumpster Danger

Postby NotABigDeal » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:30 pm

So, what did the near death experience net you?

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby Contradiction » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:09 pm

I hope you feel better quick. You deserved hazard pay today.
Contradiction
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:47 pm

NotABigDeal wrote:So, what did the near death experience net you?

Deal

I got one item out of the dumpster that is probably worth 25-50 cents.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby NotABigDeal » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:58 pm

Spend wisely....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:57 am

Venus dumpster trap nearly got another snack...
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:07 pm

Market Harmony wrote:Venus dumpster trap nearly got another snack...

But Venus is SOOOO attractive!

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:38 pm

this has happened to me numerous times. i finally drilled holes in the lids and tied them open,.
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:10 pm

This one is a bit different than most because when it is open the lid points straight up to the sky. So even if it was tied, a gust of wind could loosen the noose and still clobber me. But that is an interesting thought you have, so thanks.

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:51 pm

tied the two lids ,then tied to a fence in one case, telephone pole another. another place i put a 5 gallon bucket filled with sand.
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:22 am

I took the dimensions of the half of the lid that was open (36” x 48” x 1/8”) added about 3 pounds for the handle and other miscellaneous attachments and calculated that the lid weighed 65#. Ouch!

Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:31 am

cwgii wrote:tied the two lids ,then tied to a fence in one case, telephone pole another. another place i put a 5 gallon bucket filled with sand.

My 5 gallon buckets have screw on tops. Did you cut a hole in yours to thread the rope through? The bucket idea sounds the most feasible as the dumpster in question isn’t near any fencing or poles.

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:35 am

just used the metal handle
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:09 am

There is no metal handle on the buckets I see and the top of the dumpster doesn’t seem to have any good way to tie it open. But this will get my creative juices flowing. Maybe I’ll think of something. Thanks for the ideas.

Recyclersteve

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage