Melting Brass Mexican Coins

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Melting Brass Mexican Coins

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed May 02, 2018 4:51 am

Does anyone have any experience with melting brass Mexican coins (i.e., pre-1992 cinco centavos coins). I imagine it would be a pain to go through a large pile of Mexican coins to look for them, or would it? If you took the coins to a junkyard, do you think they would take them? I have very little now, but might have a way to accumulate, I'm guessing, 100-200# worth of them. Also, is there anything like a Ryedale that can be tweaked to sort the brass coins out from the others? Is there something other than the brass centavos (from Mexico or elsewhere) that would be worth setting aside for a possible meltdown?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Melting Brass Mexican Coins

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed May 02, 2018 9:54 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Does anyone have any experience with melting brass Mexican coins (i.e., pre-1992 cinco centavos coins). I imagine it would be a pain to go through a large pile of Mexican coins to look for them, or would it? If you took the coins to a junkyard, do you think they would take them? I have very little now, but might have a way to accumulate, I'm guessing, 100-200# worth of them. Also, is there anything like a Ryedale that can be tweaked to sort the brass coins out from the others? Is there something other than the brass centavos (from Mexico or elsewhere) that would be worth setting aside for a possible meltdown?

Brass cooks at about 1700f so melting would be easy. The problem is keeping good ventilation with the Zinc. I would also recommend doing 5-10# worth of ingots and see what the yard would pay before going all out Darth Melter on 200#.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun May 06, 2018 4:00 pm

Thx for the info- not planning on doing any melting myself.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri May 25, 2018 6:15 pm

I have scrapped them before and received full brass price, but I'm sure some yards are more picky than others
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage