Dealing With Police When Scrapping

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Dealing With Police When Scrapping

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:59 pm

I'm curious what types of experiences everyone has had with police officers while scrapping or dumpster diving. Any tips you can provide to keep me from getting into trouble while eeking out a meager income from scrapping?

I know of some people on this site who have taken donuts to their favorite bank tellers, but somehow taking your oily, greasy, filthy hand after going through a dumpster and saying "How about a donut officer?" doesn't seem like it would do any good...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Dealing With Police When Scrapping

Postby Changechecker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:27 pm

Whatever you do, don't make any sudden moves, especially towards your pockets. I have encountered them in the past when I would drive around on trash night scrapping. They are human and have a job to do. I found that if I am respectful and cooperative they will let you do your thing. I avoid dumpsters without permission in writing or the owner on premises. Not worth the hassle. I recently connected with a tire/brake shop and pick up scrap metal (rotors,etc) weekly. I just gave them a 5 gallon pail (I wrote "wheel weights") for the lead. If you ask around the possibilities are there.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:59 pm

You are right. It's probably not a good idea to approach a cop while asking "What do you think about concealed carry?" :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:58 am

Use tie downs, straps, tarps and flags to try and keep them from pulling you over.
hobo finds

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Some cities and towns have ordinances against dumpster diving and/or curbside scavenging and you can get ticketed or prosecuted for violations. It's always good to be aware of local laws.

If the dumpster is branded with a scrap metal company's name, taking scrap out of it is a definite no-no. If the dumpster is enclosed behind a locked gate or fence and you circumvent the fence to get to the dumpster, you can be charged with trespassing or worse.

Regardless of local laws, if approached by an officer, follow their directions and answer their questions. Changechecker's advice is solid. Making any sudden moves is inadvisable, especially at night. Asking permission from the business during normal hours is usually a better practice. If they say no, it's not a big loss as there are always other sources of scrap.

And I second hobo finds' advice on properly securing all loads.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:42 pm

There is a recycler near me that accepts drop-offs of all sorts of materials, they don't charge anything but also don't pay anything - a business model that only works in a mostly affluent and eco-friendly place like Portland I suppose. I take my home waste cardboard/paper/plastics there and usually peak in the metal dumpster - often full of appliances and other goodies, what a business.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage