Treated like a criminal

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Treated like a criminal

Postby messymessy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:01 pm

Ever get treated like a criminal when you are selling scrap? I mean more than just the normal show them your driver's license and let them record your truck's license plate numbers?

My father was selling a truck full of stripped wire yesterday. The scrap yard took his ID like normal, but sent it into the office. Office worker comes out and takes lots of pictures of the scrap and of his license plate. Police officer in unmarked vehicle shows up while still unloading. Never identified himself as police, but definitely smelled like bacon and donuts. Office worker requires my father to hand write and sign a note stating that he owns the wire while police officer watches over his shoulder. And to top it all off, the dollar amount was too large and they would have to mail a check for the purchase.

Over all, a bad experience and I won't ever go there again.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Treated like a criminal

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:15 pm

In Oregon you need to fill out this to move scrap and have it with you.

State Of Oregon Metal Transportation Certificate
Name
Address
Phone
Address
Date that metal was acquired
Seller or transferor of the metal
Amount of metal (approximate total pounds/tons)
Type(s) of metal
Name
Phone
Signature of seller/transferor
Person transporting the metal (if different from seller or transferor)
Location(s) metal was loaded
Destination of metal
* Unlawfully transporting metal property is a Class C misdemeanor
State Of Oregon Metal Transportation Certificate
Date that metal was acquired
Amount of metal (approximate total pounds/tons)
Type(s) of metal
Location(s) metal was loaded
Destination of metal
Seller or transferor of the metal
Name
Phone
Address
Signature of seller/transferor
Name
Phone
Address
* Unlawfully transporting metal property is a Class C misdemeanor
**************************************************************************************
Person transporting the metal (if different from seller or transferor)

With out having it you could get this Class C Misdemeanor 30 days $1250

They do the same thing photo of you your truck your ID and mail the check.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby messymessy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:21 am

Wow, and I thought Ohio was getting out of hand. Most places in Ohio just take your driver's license number and license plate number.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:06 am

In Arizona

Must be at least 16 years old
Must give a copy of your ID including photo
License plate number and description of vehicle dropping off metal
Right index finger print
Only 1 cash transaction per day
Payment in form of a check mailed to address on your ID if $300 or more
AC coils payment by check mailed to address only
No stripped wire (business accounts only can sell stripped wire)
No burnt wire accepted
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AdamsSamoa » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:36 pm

KY is pretty easy.... if they have you on file no problems.
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:43 pm

Some states won't allow you to sell stripped wire at all. I imagine they think that if you have a machine to strip wire that you are a high volume operator and therefore a likely thief. I have to admit that if I saw a person pull up with a vehicle full of stripped wire, I'd be suspicious.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby messymessy » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:49 am

Electricians always have lots of scrap wire. Smart electricians have machines that strip lots of wire.

Just like all plumbers used to have barrels of copper pipe scraps. But I doubt this is true anymore. Most plumbers are using some version of plastic pipe.

People who steal wire tend to be lazy and take their stolen wire in insulated or burnt.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silversaddle1 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:40 am

If you business with 1 yard all the time, talk to them and see about getting an account set up. You don't have to bring in a load every day to get an account. Sure save the hassle of DL's and stuff.
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby mrlaufer » Sun May 01, 2016 1:12 pm

I'm in central ohio, I take loads of sealed lead acid batteries from work about once a month to the scrap yard, plus some occasional stripped and unstrapped wire. They take my license, record my plate number, and ask for my thumb print and ALWAYS give me cash. no problems where I go
God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason-so you can listen twice as much as you speak.
Molon Labe
mrlaufer
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:48 pm

As someone that has lost wire from street lights I paid to install, I favor tracking who is selling scrap wire. Same with batteries that get stolen off my client's rvs. The more tracking the better.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby messymessy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:25 pm

JadeDragon wrote:As someone that has lost wire from street lights I paid to install, I favor tracking who is selling scrap wire. Same with batteries that get stolen off my client's rvs. The more tracking the better.

I have no real problem with tracking scrap sellers. I have a big problem with overzealous scrapyard employees assuming someone is a criminal for no reason.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:17 pm

messymessy wrote:
JadeDragon wrote:As someone that has lost wire from street lights I paid to install, I favor tracking who is selling scrap wire. Same with batteries that get stolen off my client's rvs. The more tracking the better.

I have no real problem with tracking scrap sellers. I have a big problem with overzealous scrapyard employees assuming someone is a criminal for no reason.

Sign of the times, don't think it's going to get better.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage