Cashing in the non ferrous scrap

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Cashing in the non ferrous scrap

Postby aussamdad » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:00 pm

I move a lot of scrap steel usually about 1200 to 1800 lbs twice a month. But now I have finally had it with the non ferrous mess in my backyard...time to move it along. I have always entertained the idea of melting the scrap window frames, radiators, truck tool boxes and other misc aluminum. But never did, so off to the scrap yard it goes this week weather permitting.

My first load is a bunch of bags of al cans...it will be my second and maybe a third load.
aussamdad

Re: Cashing in the non ferrous scrap

Postby hobo finds » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:00 pm

Good luck. When you are al done if you want to post prices here... viewtopic.php?f=11&t=71
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silversaddle1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:16 pm

Sheet and cast AL is doing 44-46 range up here in Iowa. Not real good, but not bad either if you have to move it.
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby aussamdad » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:41 pm

I am a little behind...got the bags of cans moved off last year....did the SLA's and vehicle batteries last week. Took the battery's that weighed less than 40 lbs ea to O'Reilly's for their $10 store card for each battery and the rest to the recycler for $0.25 pound...got a check from the recycler for $130. plus the $50 store card from the auto parts store. Nice.

next maybe the Stainless Steel.
aussamdad

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage