Scrapping around January 1 (and 6/30 + 9/30)

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Scrapping around January 1 (and 6/30 + 9/30)

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:51 pm

I used to work for a couple of companies where stuff was saved up all year and then thrown into the dumpster around December 31st, so it could be taken off the books for the year. This would reduce the amount of income taxes the business had to pay for the year.

I realize there are plenty of businesses whose fiscal years end 6/30 or 9/30, so the best time to see their dumpsters would be around those dates. Also, from what I know, there are probably very few businesses whose fiscal years end on 3/31.

So what do you scrappers think? Is this a good time of year for scrapping?
Last edited by Recyclersteve on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Scrapping around January 1 (and 6/30 + 9/30)

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:22 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:So what do you scrapers think?

Personally, I prefer being the painter over being the scraper, but prep work does have its own type of satisfaction. Sorry, I couldn't resist! :P

Anytime you're making a profit and it's worth your time is a good time for scrapping and dumpster diving.

At the end or beginning of any month is usually good, because that's when most occupancy changes in buildings. I suppose there's an additional boon at the end of fiscal quarters, but at many companies, the physical disposal process is not in synch with the book keeping.

The post-christmas through January season is better than average because people upgrade their household appliances and electronics, and businesses make those year-end purchases timed for tax benefits. I say through January because retailers mark down a lot of inventory to sell it off, and everyone goes shopping with their gift cards.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cwgii » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:21 am

post xmas is fun, I got a bunch of computer parts. extension cords, outlet strips. and....... a new in the box apple notebook.. all replaced with new toys . they even threw out the desks.
cwgii

Postby TXBullion » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:08 pm

cwgii wrote:post xmas is fun, I got a bunch of computer parts. extension cords, outlet strips. and....... a new in the box apple notebook.. all replaced with new toys . they even threw out the desks.

What kind of MacBook ? Are you selling it , specs ?
TXBullion

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:02 pm

I went to about 40 dumpsters, which included 2 big construction site dumpsters. Found a small amount of wire (maybe $1 worth) and about 6-8 random signs from a sign mfg. company. Also got a decent little push cart (about the size of a grocery cart) for hauling stuff around. But overall, fairly disappointing.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:12 pm

TXBullion wrote:
cwgii wrote:post xmas is fun, I got a bunch of computer parts. extension cords, outlet strips. and....... a new in the box apple notebook.. all replaced with new toys . they even threw out the desks.

gave it to the DAV for use in the post.
cwgii

Postby hobo finds » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:20 pm

cwgii wrote:
TXBullion wrote:

gave it to the DAV for use in the post.

Good use for it! :clap:
hobo finds

Postby fansubs_ca » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:11 am

Between Christmas and New Years I was going past my usual scrap place and noticed:

-They closed for that whole week
-There were 2 items people just dumped off in front. One was a fridge, I forget
what the other was.

I guess people that had stuff they just wanted to get rid of, took it down, saw the place
was closed and figured the price of steel is so low now it wasn't worth hauling it home
then coming back again in a week so they just decided to leave it as a freebee.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cwgii » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:02 am

end of month finds,

2 angle iron bed frames,
cheap thin tubeing head board.
cwgii

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage