3 phase industrial motors

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

3 phase industrial motors

Postby Sanford02 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:30 pm

What can I expect for a half dozen or so 3 phase industrial motors (0.5 - 2 hp)?

I am in the PNW....any ideas what the current rate is for this type of stuff?

Thanks
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Re: 3 phase industrial motors

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:32 pm

I assume you mean as scrap? Scrap electric motors are running $0.10 - $0.20/lb on the east coast. It's probably similar in your area. If you're in a more remote rural location the price is going to be lower end. Some scrap yards buy them as prepared steel, others pay higher rates for large motors. Generally, the larger the motor the higher the copper return.

However, if they work or can be salvaged they are worth far more than scrap.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:32 pm

For privacy reasons I'm not at liberty to say where I live (not even the state), but in my neck of the woods I've been told recently that motors have to be processed with steel. In other words, you and only get 3-4 cents per pound, which is HORRIBLE. It was more like 20-25 cents/lb. a couple years ago.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sanford02 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:57 pm

Dr. Cadmium wrote:I assume you mean as scrap? Scrap electric motors are running $0.10 - $0.20/lb on the east coast. It's probably similar in your area. If you're in a more remote rural location the price is going to be lower end. Some scrap yards buy them as prepared steel, others pay higher rates for large motors. Generally, the larger the motor the higher the copper return.

However, if they work or can be salvaged they are worth far more than scrap.

They are still functional....although some have rusty shafts or other cosmetic issues....

So, you think ebay? CL?
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:19 pm

Cosmetic issues aren't a big deal for most industrial equipment. What matters is that they work. I would try CL first since it's free. eBay is good for gauging prices and demand for certain models, but shipping large motors can be labor intensive. There are also businesses that buy and sell used industrial equipment, so check your yellow pages.

As a general rule, 3-phase equipment is harder to sell than single phase. The market is limited to industrial areas with the right power setup and the occasional person with a phase converter in their workshop. Definitely check the make and model of each unit.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:48 pm

I forgot: there's an auction company near me that specializes in industrial equipment. This would be the fastest way to sell something like this, and one of the best venues.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage