Where Have You Found Coins/Currency?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Re: Where Have You Found Coins/Currency?

Postby hirbonzig » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:15 am

Two zincs and a quarter found near the curb line in the road. One cent and the quarter were easy pickings, but the other cent was frozen in some ice and took a bit of chipping to free it. The guy in the house was probably looking out thinking I tossed that change weeks ago, now there’s this yahoo chipping it out of the ice and snow. It must be that metal sickness we all have. :)
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver4face » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:09 am

Metal Sickness! I've never heard that phrase before, but I like it!
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:27 am

Before I joined RealCent, I couldn't spell Metal Sickness and now I are one.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby sparechange » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:41 am

The contagion is real----Glove up please!!!
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cwgii » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:43 am

I picked up some cans last week. Yesterday I put them in my milk crates to dry out. And there lay a dime. How why Just stuck to the bottom of one and dislodge when dumping. One never tires of finding. Treasure.
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cwgii » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:11 pm

This one is a repeat. The DAV saves the bottle caps for me. There was a quarter mixed in the bag. Also a few can tabs. They save them for the Ronald McDonald house.
cwgii

Postby Silver4face » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:49 am

Last week at a coin machine, I found a Canadian quarter and a Canadian dime. It was NOT a coinstar machine. I will use the appropriate thread for those (if I find any)
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver4face » Thu May 19, 2022 10:08 pm

Picked up a dime today - Wal-Mart parking lot.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cyberdan » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:47 pm

coindood wrote:My family had a 1903 piano restored many years ago. The guy who took it apart said children frequently slip coins between the keys but we didn't find anything.[/list]

My 1940ish piano had a front board the width of the piano and 18" tall. It had a spring loaded latch way at the top. When ever I went on vacation or away for a few days i would take all my gold/silver/coins and guns and put them in the space behind this board. It was just an empty area and no thief would ever even think of looking to see if there was a removable bord there.
cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

Postby cyberdan » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:52 pm

On my way to work on a rainy morning, several years ago, I had to stop at a light in the left turn lane. While wafting for the light to change I noticed something in the divider shrubs. I put my car in park and got out, everyone was watching. I walked over to what turned out to be a $10 bill folded. I opened it and showed to all watching also holding up all 10 fingers and thumbs.
cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

Postby cwgii » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:29 pm

Recycling bin.1982 Canadian penny among the cans.
cwgii

Postby thecrazyone » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:25 am

Think I have one that you guys have missed:

Goodwill donation bin. When you pull up with your stuff to donate, be sure to check the empty bin that they give you before you start filling it up. There is often at least a penny in there from other people's donations, and the people who work there seem to rarely care, since they are getting paid $10/hr!
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby hirbonzig » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:09 am

While in the course of my work yesterday I found a 1973 cent atop a cedar fence post. I’m sure it was put there for a reason so I just left it there. It was dark and looks as if it’s been there a long time.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:07 pm

1975 penny in the pay area of at the scrapyard. The lowest denomination they pay with is the nickel, so someone who came in dropped it.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thecrazyone » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:13 pm

hirbonzig wrote:While in the course of my work yesterday I found a 1973 cent atop a cedar fence post. I’m sure it was put there for a reason so I just left it there. It was dark and looks as if it’s been there a long time.

I put that there for you!

XD
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby cwgii » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:44 pm

At a bluegrass festival this weekend....2 zincs in the rv camping area.
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:25 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
coindood wrote:
TXSTARFIRE wrote:One place I have always found coins is under the seats in cars. I always pop out the back seat and check under there when I buy or sell a car. Its a little more difficult to check under the front seats but there is usually money there as well.

Can attest. Went to put air in all four tires this morning and was always intrigued by the vac apparatus. No one around, so I unsnapped the canister housing and inside was a simple rubberized bowl to catch debris...with lots of coins visible! Emptied the bowl into a shopping bad in my trunk and sifted thru it at home. $1.41 in pennies, nickels and dimes, along with a 56D wheatie. Paid $1 for the air :roll: so I ended up 41 cents ahead. :thumbup: Also found a key and a hair barrette with 13 fake diamonds.

If no one's around I may do this more often.

Opening up the vacuum canister is a great idea. Never thought of that one before.

Tried this again a couple days ago. Found a bit over $5, BUT when you take time to sift carefully through everything and then time to clean up your mess and take a shower (I was FILTHY and could even smell myself), I spent easily well over an hour and feel my time could have been better spent elsewhere.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:29 am

About a week ago I found $6 ($5 bill and a $1) sitting on the floor in a product aisle at Walmart. I decided to remove the “tripping hazard”. You’re welcome!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:06 pm

I picked up a shop vac at the town dump and there was a dime in the collection canister.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Previous

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage