How much for copper leading to electrical panel?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

How much for copper leading to electrical panel?

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:35 am

We had to replace an electrical panel for a house built in the 1950's and the copper wire is quite heavy. Any idea what type of copper it is and what the approximate going rate is for this type of copper?

I plan on taking it to a recycling location, but don't want to make a special trip if it isn't worth much.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: How much for copper leading to electrical panel?

Postby cwgii » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:32 am

im not the expert on this but... #2 insulated in Tucson is .92/ lb. heavier stuff, or back then solid vx. strands is #1.
cwgii

Postby xippi » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:17 am

If you take the time to strip it you will get more money for it, sometimes it strips easy sometimes it doesn't :?

Copper Spot price as been down lately sitting at 2.919lb I would recommend calling around for prices if you have enough to make it worth while.
just north of Boston Prices. Being near a Sea Port helps get a little more ;)
My not a expert estimates
if its still nice and shiny Bare Bright Copper #1 @2.25-2.50 lb
Copper #2 ( not shiny, may have some solder, fine stranded stuff) 2.00-2.25 Lb
Aluminum is $.45-.50 lb or so
Steel shred is about 190 a ton (was about a month ago I think its down)

as Cwgii says around .90 for the Home wire insulated stuff. If its all the same stuff they should have a price for your particular Gauge/style wire.
xippi
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:46 am

I hear some places won't buy stripped copper, presumably because of all the copper thieves.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby xippi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:43 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:I hear some places won't buy stripped copper, presumably because of all the copper thieves.

I have never heard any thing like that. is it a state thing? Yard thing?

My places want the stripped stuff easier for them and they probably make more on it. And so do I

I go to 3 different scrap yards depended on the load, size, what there paying on that day, and how close i am to them. 2 pay cash, the bigger place pays by Check. All require ID's

have u estimated how much copper you have ? Feet/weight?
What state you in?
xippi
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:49 pm

Arizona yards are not allowed to buy stripped copper. I understood it has something to do with discouraging people from burning the insulation off.

You can get decent prices on e-bay.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby hobo finds » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:49 pm

No.1 Insulated Copper Wire shall consist of plastic insulated unalloyed, uncoated (plated) copper wire, with the copper wire not smaller than 16 gauge.
hobo finds

Postby cwgii » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:24 am

hobo finds wrote:No.1 Insulated Copper Wire shall consist of plastic insulated unalloyed, uncoated (plated) copper wire, with the copper wire not smaller than 16 gauge.

ahhhhhhhhhh, see like women say........ size matters.
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:18 am

I ended up getting $1.70/lb. for 12 lbs. of insulated 90% copper and $1.40/lb. for 10 lbs. of INS copper #1 80%. Total received for all parts of the electrical panels turned in (incl. breakers) was about $40. This was on 12/21/14.

Recyclersteve

Postby messymessy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:I ended up getting $1.70/lb. for 12 lbs. of insulated 90% copper and $1.40/lb. for 10 lbs. of INS copper #1 80%. Total received for all parts of the electrical panels turned in (incl. breakers) was about $40. This was on 12/21/14.

What were the breakers sold as? Shred price or something better?
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:52 am

They only paid the steel price for breakers. I didn't like it, but didn't feel like making a scene for about 15 breakers.

Recyclersteve

Postby messymessy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:00 am

Recyclersteve wrote:They only paid the steel price for breakers. I didn't like it, but didn't feel like making a scene for about 15 breakers.

Breakers are lots of plastic. It surprises me that you get paid that well.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cwgii » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:04 am

here in Tucson over the last week. copper thieves caused problems at a medical practice and 30k loss of food from a bbq restaurant.
cwgii

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:46 am

messymessy wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:They only paid the steel price for breakers. I didn't like it, but didn't feel like making a scene for about 15 breakers.

Breakers are lots of plastic. It surprises me that you get paid that well.

I am always surprised at what you can scrap that people don't normally think of as metal! Usually the prices for "electronics" are terrible, but beats trashing something if you're going to the yard regardless.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby daviscfad » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:51 am

Scraping overcurrent devices is unheard of around here.. though like said most are now plastic.. i know this is almost a year old but did you have federal pacific? Most houses had fuse protectors
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:34 am

Sorry, I never did make note of the brand.

Recyclersteve

Postby messymessy » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:59 pm

daviscfad wrote:Scraping overcurrent devices is unheard of around here.. though like said most are now plastic.. i know this is almost a year old but did you have federal pacific? Most houses had fuse protectors

You can sell lots of breakers on Ebay for decent money. You get the best money for old ones that aren't made anymore, like Federal Pacific, Wadsworth, Pushmatic or Zinsco.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby daviscfad » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:07 pm

Yes federal pacific volt in breakers sell for stupid money
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage