bought 54 lbs brass and copper

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

bought 54 lbs brass and copper

Postby cyberdan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:45 pm

Last Saturday was very productive got 54 lbs brass and copper. Even went to a Goodwill and gathered all the brass pieces they had and put them in one spot. I found the manager and told her I would buy all at $1 each she said OK.

At a yardsale bought a set of brass Masonic bookends $2 (6 lbs) put on ebay last night and already have a $25 bid.

going to the recycler in one hour with everything I bought in the last few weeks.
===========================================
update got back from the recycler. Turns out i had 58lbs total of metals and I am $117 richer.

Did spend about $42 on the metals tho.
cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

Re: bought 54 lbs brass and copper

Postby thunter » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:06 pm

Nice profit! Can you provide a link to your Ebay auction?
thunter
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Heartkill » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:19 pm

It takes money to make money, good profits. I buy a lot of brass to scrap at Goodwill also. It seems they've been doing better lately on their pricing.
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby cyberdan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:02 pm

thunter wrote:Nice profit! Can you provide a link to your Ebay auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130481616485&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:14 pm

Unfortunately, the Goodwills around me overprice everything, are very picked over and will not haggle. Example: $5 is typical for a 6 oz brass candlestick.

Still, if you spend a lot of time at thrift stores and tag sales it makes sense to add base metals to your shopping list.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:46 pm

I've scored a bunch of base metal stuff at thrift stores for less than melt. My problem is I like looking at the stuff and can't bring myself to scrap all the cool usable items so I got crates full. I should do a spring cleaning and go convert most of it for cash, but it is still gaining value just sitting in my shed. I should just fee-bay the cooler stuff and scrap the rest.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:37 pm

My best base metal finds come from church/charity type sales. End of sale specials are where you can make money.

I have a big Once a Year, 5 day charity sale nearby. I used to go the last day, and it would be a mad house, "Fill a bag for 50 cents!". This past year I went second to last day, (a Tuesday). Fill a grocery bag for $1.50.

I scored:
7 bags of brass (candle sticks and such) = 121 pounds
1 bag of copper (decorator items) = 14 pounds
4 bags of aluminum (souvenir plates and other items) = 28 pounds
Total spent was $18.00. The aluminum went to the scrap yard for $0.50 a pound. The brass and copper went into the hoard.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:53 am

Wow the 5 day charity sale sounds fun! That is a lot of bags of metal you scored for next to nothing! :)
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:47 pm

I went to the sale for 4 years on the last day, I would find 2-3 light bags, but finds were very slim, heavy competition. This past year going on the second day was last minute. A co-worker who knows about my metal habit had stopped at the market during lunch, and mentioned that bags were only $1.50, and there were all kinds of brass candle sticks. I didn't hesitate, took the rest of the day off.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby thunter » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:03 pm

cyberdan wrote:Last Saturday was very productive got 54 lbs brass and copper. Even went to a Goodwill and gathered all the brass pieces they had and put them in one spot. I found the manager and told her I would buy all at $1 each she said OK.

At a yardsale bought a set of brass Masonic bookends $2 (6 lbs) put on ebay last night and already have a $25 bid.

going to the recycler in one hour with everything I bought in the last few weeks.
===========================================
update got back from the recycler. Turns out i had 58lbs total of metals and I am $117 richer.

Did spend about $42 on the metals tho.

Nice job on the Ebay aution at $35! :D
thunter
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage