What did you find that was too good to scrap?

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

What did you find that was too good to scrap?

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri May 23, 2014 1:35 am

I recently found a decent set of 50-60 tools including screwdrivers, socket wrenches, a tape measure, etc. Also found a two-drawer metal file cabinet that I gave to charity. Also once found a pay phone with lots of quarters, but couldn't get them out- so I gave the phone to charity too. I'm sure many of you have some GREAT stories about what you found that was too good to scrap. So let's have it- what did you find that was too good to scrap?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What did you find that was too good to scrap?

Postby NotABigDeal » Fri May 23, 2014 7:51 am

For future reference, 12ga slugs open pay phones and paper machines. Just sayin'....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby Silversnacher » Fri May 23, 2014 11:23 am

Wow! Where did you find this stuff?
I accept paypal or check/concealed cash when selling
Silversnacher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby silversaddle1 » Sat May 24, 2014 12:13 pm

Being in the railroad scrap contracting business for 16 years I could tell some stories that most would not believe. I'll give one here, just a sample. We were working on a trackside clean-up for a huge US railroad company. Won't say what one, doesn't matter. We were tasked with cleaning up all used track material between milepost .005 to milepost 1, so a half mile. They were changing out rail and adding a second track, we cleaned up everything they left behind. Got a call about 5 pm on a Friday night from the railroad saying there were some track panels that were left in the way and they needed them removed before Monday. 20 track panels, think of your Lionel train set. Each panel was 40 foot long and was built out of new rail and new ties. It had never seen a train on it. They wanted it all gone before the track crew started Monday. Well each panel weighed in at about 5600 pounds each. So I called a guy I knew from a local short line railroad and asked him if they would be interested in the panels. They came down on Saturday with a crane and two semi trucks and hauled them all away. Two weeks later I got a check from them for $34,000.00 dollars! True story!

In the computer recycling business it can be about as crazy. Example. I have a stack of 15 Audiocodes Mediant 2000's sitting in the shop that we pulled from a closed facility. These are 100% working units. What do you think they sell for used on E-bay for? How about 5 grand each! It's out there guys, just go look for it!

I could go on and on after being in the recycling business for 27 years.
silversaddle1
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:07 am

Silversnacher wrote:Wow! Where did you find this stuff?

I've found stuff in affluent (but not gated) neighborhoods just before the local brush removal week. Also in an industrial park that has lots of computer, wire and cable, lighting and other companies.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:08 am

silversaddle1 wrote:Being in the railroad scrap contracting business for 16 years I could tell some stories that most would not believe. I'll give one here, just a sample. We were working on a trackside clean-up for a huge US railroad company. Won't say what one, doesn't matter. We were tasked with cleaning up all used track material between milepost .005 to milepost 1, so a half mile. They were changing out rail and adding a second track, we cleaned up everything they left behind. Got a call about 5 pm on a Friday night from the railroad saying there were some track panels that were left in the way and they needed them removed before Monday. 20 track panels, think of your Lionel train set. Each panel was 40 foot long and was built out of new rail and new ties. It had never seen a train on it. They wanted it all gone before the track crew started Monday. Well each panel weighed in at about 5600 pounds each. So I called a guy I knew from a local short line railroad and asked him if they would be interested in the panels. They came down on Saturday with a crane and two semi trucks and hauled them all away. Two weeks later I got a check from them for $34,000.00 dollars! True story!

In the computer recycling business it can be about as crazy. Example. I have a stack of 15 Audiocodes Mediant 2000's sitting in the shop that we pulled from a closed facility. These are 100% working units. What do you think they sell for used on E-bay for? How about 5 grand each! It's out there guys, just go look for it!

I could go on and on after being in the recycling business for 27 years.

Phenomenal finds- I'm speechless!

Recyclersteve

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage