Learn & Earn - PM scrapping at Yard Sales, Flea Markets, etc

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Re: Learn & Earn - PM scrapping at Yard Sales, Flea Markets,

Postby cyberdan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Thogey wrote:So about 22K Net?

For me? yes about that.
I also bring in Li Ion batteries, computer greenboards and old laptops.
(no RAM or CPU or hard drive boards - I get extra on ebay for those)
cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:36 am

This is a GREAT thread! I've read the whole thing a few times.

Here is my war story...

Mine has to do with a pawn shop where things are often overpriced. In December, 2008 the story hit about Bernie Madoff defrauding people out of billions. At one Palm Beach, FL country club, it was said that 1/3 or so of the members had invested with Madoff. A man from a pawn shop in nearby Riviera Beach was on national TV shortly thereafter talking about all the high end stuff they were getting from Madoff victims.

I happened to be in the area and decided to pay a visit during January 2009. I saw a small box of Kennedy halves where clads were mixed in with silvers. The employee told me they were $1 each. I remember making three stacks of halves. On top of each stack I put a single clad coin and the rest were all silver. Mostly 40%ers, but there were some 1964's too. I got about 50 silver halves and walked out the door with an instant profit of about $200. That was when silver prices were quite low.

$200 isn't nearly enough to make me rich, but this felt so good!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:24 am

I bought a small metal toolbox full of small tools/junk from a thrift store for 5 bucks yesterday. In the bottom drawer amongst the rivets and wire was a small old gold ring. Eureka! 10k 3.2 grams = over 56 dollars melt value. :thumbup:
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:37 pm

blackrabbit wrote:I bought a small metal toolbox full of small tools/junk from a thrift store for 5 bucks yesterday. In the bottom drawer amongst the rivets and wire was a small old gold ring. Eureka! 10k 3.2 grams = over 56 dollars melt value. :thumbup:

Whoa nice! :clap:
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:12 pm

Quick run over to an estate tag sale during lunch. $5 for 3 mismatched hoop earrings 2-14K 1-10K..........= $43 melt :)

If you're not looking you're not buying.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:02 pm

Some smashing of sterling items has revealed…..

On average Weighted Sterling candle holders (you know the 3 1/2” ones that everyone made) yields about 35 g each.

Full size knives (stainless blades sterling handles) are yielding about 20 g each.

Salt and Pepper shakers are so wildly different, from 10g to 37g each.

Honestly, it’s sad to destroy something beautiful, but if it cannot bring its melt value when sold, it’s time to melt.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:55 am

OneBiteAtATime wrote:Some smashing of sterling items has revealed…..

On average Weighted Sterling candle holders (you know the 3 1/2” ones that everyone made) yields about 35 g each.

Full size knives (stainless blades sterling handles) are yielding about 20 g each.

Salt and Pepper shakers are so wildly different, from 10g to 37g each.

Honestly, it’s sad to destroy something beautiful, but if it cannot bring its melt value when sold, it’s time to melt.

Don’t listen to this guy!

Recently I’ve gotten into a mess of candleholders that are super thin - 16g of sterling. Not making any money on them!
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:47 pm

I saw a possible silver item today, flipped it over and it said Richfield 2191 quadruple. That is silver plate, so it went back on the shelf.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:23 am

I have a buddy who moved to Ft. Myers Fl. His wife is an artist/painter. He tells me that if you know art, the area is a gold mine. Wealthy folk from up north retire to the area and have nice art collections they bring with them. When they pass, everything ends up at Goodwill or whereever. Now I'm not talking about Rembrandts or Picassos, but lesser known names in the tens of thousands of dollars. He's a little coy with the details and I don't know if he's liquidated anything he bought but if I was down there I'd buy up anything that was a maybe or had an expensive frame and bring a truckload of art to a consignment shop in a rich neighborhood of NYC.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage