Washer and Dryer...

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Washer and Dryer...

Postby tedandcam » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:34 pm

I recently got a new washer and dryer. I had one old set in the basement and now I have another old set! Problems with each one. Some probably not too bad others too costly to fix. Should I :

1 - dismantle for copper, brass, stainless steel... and scrap out?. (I kinda like this one because I can have my 13yr old help me and let him have the cash)

2 - take to scrap yard intact and whole? ( 13 yr old would take this money also :D Least amount of effort on his part :lol: )

3 - Find someone to donate them to and write $10 - $15 a piece off on my taxes? ( can show 13 yr old how that works as well)

Any youtube videos on pulling one apart and what to look for would be greatly appreciated
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Re: Washer and Dryer...

Postby AdamsSamoa » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:06 pm

Go with option 1....
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:16 pm

#1 :thumbup:
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby smackvay » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:38 pm

Easiest quick money is to take a sawzall an cut the motor out of each washer
if you have other metal laying around fill all 4 full will any type of metal you have laying around.
Unless you want to spend a lot of time on it your main money is in the motors an scrap steel if you can clip the wire pretty fast you can get like a buck a pound for it
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby sparechange » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:12 pm

If washer has agitator, pull as sometimes there are coins under them. If one has a stainless steel tub you might want to pull. Mostly depends on how long you want to spend working on it with your son. My son loves to tear things apart :shock: to see what's inside.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby stlouiscoin » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:10 pm

sparechange wrote:If washer has agitator, pull as sometimes there are coins under them. If one has a stainless steel tub you might want to pull. Mostly depends on how long you want to spend working on it with your son. My son loves to tear things apart :shock: to see what's inside.

I took apart my parents' old washer about 3 months ago. take some screws out, cut some zip ties, and that's about it. sure was fun though!
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:50 am

I took my old dryer apart for scrap, hung onto the drum thinking it might be good for
keeping stuff in, also kept the door switch that turns the light on when you open it.

I noticed the switch was just the right size it would pop into one of the holes on an
electrical box and stay in place so I used it to fashion something so the light in my
shed would come on when I open the door. ^_^

Still have a few other odds and ends around like the light socket and bulb and the
switches/timer from it incase I find a use for those.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage